Applications are now open for the 2024 Richard C. Longworth Media Fellowships, which are offered in partnership with the Chicago Council on Global Affairs. These fellowships have been established to support and encourage international reporting by journalists based in Chicago and the Midwest region.
Richard C. Longworth Media Fellowships 2024
The generous funding for these fellowships is provided through a grant from The Clinton Family Fund, as a tribute to Richard C. Longworth. Mr. Longworth is a respected former foreign correspondent for the Chicago Tribune and currently holds the position of Distinguished Fellow at the Chicago Council.
Through this program, one or two fellows will be selected and awarded grants ranging from $10,000 to $20,000. The aim is to support journalists who focus on global issues that have an impact on the readers and viewers in the Chicago and Midwestern communities.
Applicants for the Richard C. Longworth Fellowships must include a well-thought-out plan to ensure that their work reaches a wide audience through various news media channels in Chicago or other parts of the Midwest, such as print, online, or broadcast platforms. Both staff journalists and freelancers should be able to demonstrate strong interest and support from editors and/or producers. In the case of freelancers, their track record of working with the mentioned outlets is seen as a key indicator of credibility for their distribution plans. It is preferred that letters from editors and/or producers who have previously collaborated with the applicant and express interest in future collaboration be provided, rather than simply stating they would consider the work.
- The Richard C. Longworth Fellowships are available for journalists who work in print, broadcast, and online mediums, and they can be based in Chicago or any other part of the Midwest.
- Both staff journalists and freelancers are eligible to apply for these fellowships.
- The focus of the reporting should be on international locations, and the topics covered must be timely and relevant to the interests of audiences in Chicago and the Midwest.
- Journalists who are dedicated to covering global issues that have an impact on Chicago and the Midwest audience will have the opportunity to receive one or two fellowships. The awarded amounts for these fellowships will range from $10,000 to $20,000.
Application Process And Requirements
The application for the Richard C. Longworth Media Fellowships should include the following components:
- A concise description, limited to 250 words, outlining the proposed project and its timeline.
- An initial budget estimate, including a basic breakdown of expenses such as travel, ground transportation, lodging, meals, visas, and fees for local reporting partners or translators.
- A distribution plan.
- Three samples of published work, whether in print or broadcast format.
- Three professional references, which can either be contact information or letters of recommendation. It is preferable to include letters from interested producers or editors if available.
- A copy of your curriculum vitae.
- To commence Application, click here
To find additional details, please refer to the official website.
February 1, 2024
CHECK THESE OUT:
- Richard and Susan Hayden Academy Fellowship 2023/24 at Chatham House
- Jeff Bezos’s Blue Origin Loses Lawsuit over NASA’s Deal with SpaceX
- How to Apply for City of Chicago Pilot Program Application
- Top 3 Public Regional Colleges – Which Year in College is the Hardest?
- Investment Banking Analyst Jobs Chicago with Visa Sponsorship – APPLY NOW