This is to announce the opening of applications for the Mastercard UCT Scholarship Programme 2022/2023 for African Students, Mastercard UCT Scholarship seeks to provide an opportunity for academically talented young Africans to enroll as undergraduate and graduate students to further their studies via postgraduate programs at University of Cape Town, South Africa.
About MasterCard UCT Scholarship
MasterCard Foundation in partnership with the University of Cape Town (UCT) supervises the enforcement of both financial, academic, social, and post-graduation support to successfully awarded candidates of MasterCard UCT Scholarship.
This scholarship program seeks to bring about the advancement of talented young people from beneficiaries to benefactors, giving them the necessary support and preparing them with the right values, knowledge, skills, and leadership to increase economic and social progress across the African continent.
MasterCard UCT Scholarship aims at academically qualified undergraduate and postgraduate candidates who are economically disadvantaged young people with leadership potential from Sub-Saharan Africa.
Summary of MasterCard UCT Scholarship 2022/2023
- MasterCard UCT Scholarship Application Deadline: April 30, 2022
- Scholarship Offered annually
- Eligible Countries: Sub-Saharan African countries
- To be taken at (country): South Africa
- Eligible Fields of Study: Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town (UCT)
- MasterCard UCT Scholarship offered since 2012
- Number of Awards: 60
- Duration of Scholarship: 1 year
Requirements for MasterCard UCT Scholarship 2022/2023
The criteria listed below must be met by each applicant to be eligible to apply for The MasterCard UCT Scholarship Program at the University of Cape Town.
- To be eligible, an applicant must be academically talented, and must also value learning and be driven to complete their education.
- An applicant just be economically disadvantaged and facing significant financial barriers to accessing education to be eligible for this scholarship
- Candidates are required to be committed to giving back to their own communities once their studies are completed, to return to their home countries, and take a leadership role in promoting social and economic improvement.
- Successful Future leaders must be committed to embracing ethical leadership to improve the lives of others.
- Applicant should note that commitment to community service through previous and/or past engagements with community outreach activities are required
- Eligible candidates include Citizens and residents of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- An applicant must have a desire to study at the undergraduate or postgraduate level (Masters by research and coursework or research Masters, only).
- An applicant must apply for any of the fields of study listed above at the University of Cape Town.
- It is expected that scholars are first all admitted to the University of Cape Town for them to be considered for the Scholarship. However, each academic department has its own criteria
- A minimum of 60% for the Honours or equivalent degree is the overall academic criterion required for entry into the master’s degree.
Please note that special preferences will be given to students who are the first in their families to go to university.
Criteria for Selection
- It is expected that applicants must have received a firm offer to study at the University of Cape Town
- Applicants must come from an economically disadvantaged background
- The Applicants must also show leadership potential and must have acted in a leadership capacity
- Applicants must meet the set academic criteria to be selected
MasterCard UCT Scholarship Worth
This scholarship will cover the following:
- Costs incurred for visa application processing
- The scholarship covers an economy class air ticket to Cape Town, South Africa for citizens of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- The scholarship covers fees for accommodation usually in the student housing system at UCT
- Meals are also covered through the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Medical fees are also covered
- living stipend
- Allowance for books (prescribed textbooks required for the degree program)
- All Costs related to community activities as prescribed by the MasterCard UCT Scholarship Program at the University of Cape Town
- Beneficiaries will gain access to an internship opportunity
- There will be academic support which includes: tutoring, language training, writing circles, and guidance counseling.
How to Apply for MasterCard UCT Scholarship
To apply for The MasterCard UCT Scholarship for African Students, all interested and eligible applicants must first apply to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement.
Also, Candidates are encouraged to make contact with the relevant department before the academic application will be submitted.
For Postgraduate applicants, click the link below: http://www.mcfsp.uct.ac.za/guidelines-postgraduate-applicants
MasterCard UCT Scholarship Webpage: http://www.mcfsp.uct.ac.za/how-apply