Applications are now open for the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) is hiring a Consultant | for the Africa Regional Programme 2024.
The International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) is an international network of judges and lawyers who are committed to upholding international law and principles that promote human rights.
The International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) is hiring a Consultant-Africa Regional Programme
They are seeking a consultant to support the ICJ Africa team in creating an extensive research report on the status of rights for individuals with disabilities in Africa. This report will focus on the obligations of States as outlined in the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and the African Disability Protocol.
The successful consultant will be responsible for compiling a comprehensive report that consolidates existing national, sub-regional, and regional research and evidence. This report will highlight the progress made by African States in fulfilling their obligations to protect the rights of persons with disabilities through legislative, policy, and other measures.
The selected consultant will be responsible for creating a report that consolidates existing research and evidence at the national, sub-regional, and regional levels on the efforts made by African countries to fulfill their obligations in safeguarding the rights of individuals with disabilities. This will encompass legislative measures, policies, and other initiatives taken.
To complete this report, the consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Develop a preliminary report outline, outlining the research’s scope and structure.
- After consulting with ICJ staff, review and finalize the preliminary report outline.
- Carry out the necessary research and submit the first complete draft of the report for review.
- After receiving feedback from ICJ staff, make the necessary amendments to finalize the research report for publication.
- Collaborate with ICJ staff to conceptualize, design, coordinate, and execute a webinar presenting the findings of the report.
- Regularly update the ICJ Africa Director or other designated ICJ staff on the progress of all activities related to the consultancy.
- Be available to participate in other relevant events and discussions during the consultancy period, subject to reasonable notice.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate for this position:
- Possesses extensive expertise in disability rights with a thorough understanding of international human rights law and standards.
- Has hands-on experience in advocating for disability rights specifically in the African context.
- Holds a post-graduate degree in Law, Human Rights, or a relevant field.
- Has at least 5 years of experience conducting legal research, specifically focused on disability and human rights.
- Demonstrates a track record of producing timely and published legal analyses on disability rights issues in Africa.
- Has proven experience in engaging with Organizations of Persons with Disabilities. Human rights NGOs, and inter-governmental organizations at national, regional (African), and international levels.
- Exhibits excellent written and verbal communication skills in English (proficiency in French or Portuguese is advantageous but not mandatory).
- Possesses exceptional organizational skills and the ability to collaborate effectively in order to deliver high-quality work within deadlines. They should be adaptable and flexible in response to changing priorities and requirements.
- The successful candidate will be expected to work remotely and should have access to a reliable internet connection and computer equipment. Ideally, the candidate will be based in Africa.
The deadline for applications is January 2nd, 2024. To apply, please send your resume, a cover letter. And provide the names and contact information of at least two referees to the email address specified on the official website.
To get additional information, kindly visit ICJ’s official website.
January 2, 2024.
CHECK THESE OUT: