Here I would be giving you details on How to Find Your Mac Address on Windows 11. Despite how it would be sounding, a Mac address is not that exclusive to Apple Products. Actually it stands for media Access control, and it’s a unique 12-digit number assigned to devices that have been connected to a network. The very first digits of a MAC address are tied to the device’s manufacturer, and the last 6 digits are unique to that device mainly.
Mac Address on Windows 11
Think of it more like an IP address but assigned to individual pieces of hardware on a particular network. No two devices on one particular network share a MAC address, and a device might even have more than one MAC address if connected to the network in multiple ways.
When it comes to why a MAC address is required, well it is important. If offers the device an identity on the network, and it helps the network figure out where exactly to send specific chunks of data. It is a very important tool that you can use to allow specific devices to connect to your network or flag specific devices in other to prevent them from connecting.
Finding your MAC Address in Windows 11
The easiest way for you to figure out your computer’s MAC address in windows 11 is to head right through the settings.
- Launch the settings app and then select Network and internet from the side menu.
- Select either the Ethernet or Wi-Fi (Wireless connection)
- Select Hardware Properties to view your network Connection details
- Look For the Physical address (MAC) located at the bottom of the list. The associated 12-digit number is your computer’s MAC address.
How to Get a Mac Address for a Specific Connection
Just as mentioned previously, different kinds of connections (Wi-Fi, Ethernet, VPN, etc) will have their very own MAC addresses, even if they are tied to the same device. If you happen to need a MAC address for a specific kind of connection:
- Launch the settings app and then select Network and internet from the side Menu
- Then from the network page, select advanced network settings
- Select more settings, then launch the hardware and connections properties tab
- Find the configuration that you would want in the description section, then locate the Physical address (MAC) at the bottom of the list for your connection’s MAC address.
Via Windows Control Panel
Or if you would rather make use of the windows Control Panel:
- Launch the control panel and select Network and internet
- Choose the Network and sharing center, then choose change adapter settings, and then double-click the connection that you would like to check
- Select details, then locate the physical address field to locate your MAC address.
Check MAC Address in Windows 11 Using Command Prompt
The command prompt offers tons of tips and tricks under the hood, and one of the commands would allow you find the physical address of network adapters that is in windows 11. Below I would be showing you how this works:
- To kick off the process, press the Windows key and then search for “CMD”. Now, launch “Command Prompt” straight from the search results. You do not need to run the program as an administrator in windows 11.
- Once you have entered CMD terminal, execute the command below. This would neatly list out all the network adapters and their MAC addresses that is on your windows 11 PC. Note that the “Physical Address” stated here is actually the MAC address.
- Aside from that, you can run another network command in CMD. This would display even more information, but you need to look for the MAC address of your current network. If you are connected to a Wi-Fi network, move to the “Wireless LAN Wi-Fi” section and note down the “Physical Address”. That’s the MAC address of your windows 11 computer.
Which MAC Address to Use for Wi-Fi Windows 11?
If you happen to be connected to a Wi-Fi network, move to the “Wireless LAN Wi-Fi” Section and not down the “Physical Address”. That’s the MAC Address of your windows 11 computer.
How do I Find my Wi-Fi Address in Windows?
Alternatively, press the Windows key on your Keyboard, type CMD into the search bar the press Enter on your Keyboard. Enter ipconfig /all into the command Promot window and press Enter on your Keyboard. The Wireless MAC address would be listed right under the wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi located next to the physical Address.
How do I change my MAC Address on Windows 11?
On the select network connection’s properties windows, press the configure button. On the properties windows of the network adapter, head to the Advanced tab. Locate and then select Network address in the property list and type the new MAC address value that you want on the right side. Once you are done, click on the OK button.
Does every PC have a MAC address?
Yes. For each of the network interfaces on your device, there is a unique MAC address that is associated with it. So, if your laptop carries both an ethernet port and Wi-Fi built-in, you would see two MAC addresses in the system configuration.