If you currently reside in Australia or you are planning to migrate to the country, you need a visa, while in the country, you need to make sure that your visa is valid to avoid any legal complications.
Your stay in the country is only legal if your visa is still valid, without a valid visa, it is illegal to be in Australia unless you are from a country that is visa-free to Australia.
As a resident of Australia who is under any type of visa (student visa, work visa, or visitor visa), you should frequently check the validity of your visa, this will allow you to renew it before it expires.
Why do You Need to Check if Your Australian Visa is Still Valid?
- Legal compliance: Overstaying a visa is against the law in most countries, including Australia. You will only know if your visa has expired if you check its validity. If your visa has expired or is about to expire, you must renew it as soon as possible.
- Avoid penalties: If you overstay your visa because you don’t know its validity timeframe, the authorities will find out and you will face legal consequences, fines, deportation, and even bans on future entries.
- Access to services: With an expired visa, you will lose access to essential services such as healthcare and education. You need to constantly check your visa validity and ensure it is renewed on time to have access to all these services.
- Employment opportunities: Most jobs in Australia require employees to have a valid work visa. If your visa has expired and you haven’t renewed it, you will lose your job or miss out on employment opportunities.
- Traveling in and out of the country: An expired visa will prevent you from re-entering Australia if you leave the country. You can prevent this by checking and knowing the validity of your visa.
- Maintaining legal status: If you’re planning to extend your stay in Australia or change your visa type, having an expired visa can complicate the application process. It will affect your chances of getting a new visa or residency status.
- Peace of mind: Regularly checking the status of your visa provides peace of mind. It ensures that you are aware of your legal standing in the country and can plan your activities, travel, and future accordingly.
How do you check the validity of your visa? Very simple, follow the steps below and you will know if your Australian visa is still valid.
You Need Your Passport and Other Details
To check if your Australian visa is still valid, gather all your necessary information. Locate your passport and the visa grant notification letter provided to you when your visa was approved. You will need the visa grant number and the passport number mentioned in the letter.
Visit the Department of Home Affairs Website
Open your web browser and go to the official website of the Australian Department of Home Affairs (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/). This is the official government website where you can verify the status of your visa.
Access the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) System
Once you are on the Department of Home Affairs website, find the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service. Click on the VEVO button, which will direct you to the VEVO login page.
Enter Your Visa Details
To access your visa information, you need to enter your visa grant number and passport number into the appropriate fields on the VEVO system. Double-check the information you provide to make sure it’s accurate.
View Your Visa Status
Once you’ve entered your details, click on the ‘Submit’ or ‘Check Visa’ button. The system will process your information and display the current status of your Australian visa. Your visa status will indicate whether it is still valid, expired, or if there are any conditions attached to it.
Different Visa Statuses and Their Meaning
Once you check your visa status, it will show either of the following:
- Valid: If your visa status shows as valid, you can continue to stay in Australia until the visa expires. You will also see the expiration date, note the date down, if you intend to stay longer than the expiring date, then you need to extend your visa before the expiration date of the current one.
- Expired: If your visa has expired, you must take immediate action. Contact the Department of Home Affairs or your nearest Australian embassy or consulate to discuss your situation and explore your options.
- Conditions: Sometimes, visas come with specific conditions, such as work limitations or travel restrictions. Make sure to understand these conditions to comply with the visa requirements fully.
If you reside in Australia currently, you need to constantly check the validity of your visa, you cannot afford to miss out on the validity of your visa.
Overstaying your visa is a crime in Australia, and it comes with consequences, by following the steps outlined in this guide, you can easily verify whether your visa is still valid.
CHECK THESE OUT: