Blocking text messages stops your phone from getting or receiving texts and messages from specific numbers. There are various existing reasons why you might think of, or want to block a number, like to top spam or cut ties with someone.
The good news is that you do not need any third-party or special message blocker to do this: you can simply block texts on iPhone and Android using the built-in settings in those devices. However, the method required to block numbers varies depending on the app you use to send messages.
So, let’s get into the easy ways to block text messages on both iPhone and Android.
How to Block Text Messages on iPhone
There are various ways to block texts on iPhones. When you do this, you not only block text messages from that number but also Facetime calls and regular phone calls.
From an existing text message
- Open the Messages app and find the conversation that includes the number you want to block.
- Tap the arrow icon located to the right of the contact’s name.
- Look for the “info” button, which is usually represented by a round “i” icon, and tap it.
- Scroll down to find and tap the “Block this Caller” option.
- Confirm your choice by selecting “Block Contact.”
If you want to block a number from a recent call, follow these steps:
- Open the Phone or FaceTime app and go to the list of recent calls.
- Find the number you want to block and tap the (i) icon next to it.
- Then, select the “Block this Caller” option.
If you need to block a contact who hasn’t sent you a recent message or call, but is in your phone’s contacts, you can do it from Settings:
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap “Messages.”
- In the Messages settings, select “Blocked Contacts.”
- Tap “Add New.”
- Scroll through your contacts and choose the person you want to block.
These steps should help you block unwanted numbers or contacts on your iPhone.
How to Block Text Messages on Android
Blocking unwanted texts on Android can vary depending on the messaging app you’re using:
For Google’s Messages app:
- Tap and hold the conversation.
- Choose the circle icon with a line through it at the top right of the app.
- Optionally, you can report the number as spam, then tap OK.
Alternatively, in the Google Messages app, you can:
- Open the conversation.
- Use the menu at the top right to access Details.
- Select “Block & report spam.”
For the Facebook Messenger app used as your default SMS app:
- Press and hold the conversation with the number you want to block.
- Tap the menu button.
- Choose “Block.”
- Confirm by tapping “Block” again.
These steps should help you block unwanted texts in the respective messaging apps on your Android device.
Other Text-blocking Methods for Android
If the instructions mentioned above don’t match your Android version, try these alternative methods to block texts:
- Open the conversation, tap the three dots at the top right, choose “Block number,” and then tap “OK.”
- Tap the three dots at the top of the screen and go to “Settings,” then select “Block numbers and messages,” followed by “Block numbers.” Enter the number you want to block or choose it from your Inbox or Contacts. Finally, select the green plus sign to add the number to your block list.
- Look for a button that looks like “Settings” or a menu icon and explore the options for anything related to SMS, text, calls, messages, or similar terms that describe how people can contact you. You should find a block option there.
These methods should help you block unwanted texts on your Android device, even if the screenshots don’t match your specific Android version.
How to Block Text Messages in Other Apps
With so many messaging apps available for both iPhone and Android, it’s not practical to provide instructions for all of them. Here’s how to block text messages in some popular ones:
- WhatsApp: Check our separate guide for instructions on blocking a WhatsApp contact.
- Signal: Open the conversation, tap the three-dotted menu button, select “Conversation settings,” and choose “Block.”
- Telegram: Open the conversation, tap the contact’s name at the top, and use the menu button to select “Block user.”
- Google Voice: In the Messages tab, select the conversation, tap the menu button at the top right, go to “People & options,” and pick “Block <#>.”
- Skype: Open the conversation, tap the person’s name at the top, and scroll to the bottom to choose “Block contact.”
For Verizon Messages (Message+), you can’t block texts within the app, but you can do it through your Verizon account.
If you’re looking to block messages in email apps, such as Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Outlook Mail, iCloud Mail, Zoho Mail, or Yandex.Mail,
Block Text Messages Through the Carrier
Some mobile carriers offer tools to block spam text messages or specific numbers. If you want to use these carrier-specific options, follow these links for instructions:
If you’re with AT&T, the AT&T Call Protect app is the recommended way to block specific numbers or fraudulent calls.
For AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, or Bell customers, you can also report spam texts by forwarding the message to the number 7726 (which stands for SPAM). This won’t immediately block the number, but it will report it for further investigation.
CHECK THESE OUT:
- How to Tell if Someone Blocked your Number from Texting
- Block Facebook: How to Block Facebook | Block Facebook App
- How to Access Your Facebook Dating Messages – How Facebook Dating Works
- Facebook Dating Messages – How to Send A Message to Someone in Facebook Dating
- How to Block Someone on the Facebook Marketplace