Knowing how to take a screenshot is one of the useful tricks you should know how to do on your Mac. Thankfully, taking a screenshot on Mac is very simple. You can read on to learn more in this article.
How do I Screenshot on Mac
The process of taking a screenshot on your Mac is not difficult. We will be giving you give different ways by which you can take on a screenshot on your Mac. You can go through them and decide which method you will prefer to use. The first method is below:
- The first method is by holding down the keys: Command + Shift + 3 ( While holding down the key, you will a brief camera shutter sound. This is considered as the most basic screenshot because it takes a picture of your whole screen at that point in time
- After the screenshot has been taken, you look for the screenshot as a png file on the desktop with the name Screenshot time or date.
- You can do this by holding down the keys: Command + Shift + 4 and your cursor will change directions into a small reticule with pixel coordinate numbers to the lower left.
- After that, tap and hold the mouse or trackpad and move the cursor to click a rectangular area you want to screenshot. You can choose to press the Esc key to start again without taking the photo.
- Finally, let go of the click to take the picture and the screenshot file will be saved on your desktop.
Screenshot of a Window
- You can take a screenshot of a window by holding down Command + Shift + 4 + Space. By doing this, your cursor will be turned into a small camera icon and any window you are moving your cursor over will be highlighted blue.
- Next, you need to highlight the window you intend to screenshot. You can cycle through your open applications with Command + Tab or use F3 to array all your open windows when you are looking for the right window and you can press Esc to cancel without taking a photo.
- Finally, tap the highlighted window and look for your file on the desktop.
Saving a Screenshot to the Clipboard
- To do this, hold down the Ctrl key and carry out any of the instructions above. By so doing, your screenshot will be saved to the clipboard and not as a file on the desktop.
- Next, hold down keys Command + V or select “Paste” from the Edit menu and paste the screenshot into the word processing document, an image editor, or an email.
Taking a Screenshot in Preview
- First of all, launch Preview. Locate it in the applications folder of the Finder, and double-tap on its icon.
- Next, open the File menu and drag your cursor over “Take Screen Shot”.
- Next, choose From Selection, From Window, or From Entire Screen ( Choosing from Selection will turn your cursor into a reticle. Tap and move across the rectangular area you want to capture, From Window will turn your cursor into a camera icon. You can highlight the window you wish to capture and tap and from Entire Screen will begin a countdown. Put your screen in the right way you want it to be captured and wait for the timer to count down).
- Finally, Save your new screenshot.