The 2024 edition of the Herbert Scoville Jr. Peace Fellowship is currently accepting applications from candidates who meet the qualification requirements stated in this post. The Fellowship offers recent college and graduate school graduates full-time, six to nine-month paid fellowships to work on international peace and security issues with one of more than two dozen partnering public-interest organizations in Washington, DC.
In addition to working with senior staff, Scoville Fellows have the chance to do research, write articles and reports, plan speeches and conferences supported by their host institution, and directly assist projects in advocacy and public education.
Herbert Scoville Jr. Peace Fellowship 2024 – What to Expect
Fellows may study a variety of topics, including conventional arms trade, environmental security, defense spending, diplomacy, and new technology threats. These topics include nuclear, biological, and chemical arms control and nonproliferation; conflict prevention, peacebuilding, and atrocity prevention.
Herbert Scoville Jr. Peace Fellows can also go to coalition meetings, legislative hearings, policy briefings, and meetings the program arranges with policy experts. Numerous former Scoville Fellows have gone on to earn graduate degrees in international relations and similar fields and have important positions in the public interest sector, academia, the media, and government in the area of peace and security.
Requirements to participate in Herbert Scoville Jr. Peace Fellowship 2024
- Candidates must have earned a baccalaureate degree by the start of the fellowship; candidates with graduate degrees are also welcome to apply.
- Candidates must have a significant interest in matters of peace and security as well as an outstanding academic record.
- Special preference would be given to Candidates with graduate work, a college major, course work, or a significant amount of independent reading that reflects the substantive focus of the fellowship.
- It is highly desirable to have prior activism or lobbying experience in the public interest. Such actions should ideally, but are not compelled to, be concerned with matters of peace and security.
- All citizens of the United States and foreign nationals who are legally able to work in the country may participate in the program. Outside of the United States, residing non-U.S. citizens are ineligible to apply.
- People with little prior government or public interest experience in the Washington, DC, area will be given preference.
Benefits of Herbert Scoville Jr. Peace Fellowship
In addition to receiving minimal health insurance, mentoring, a small stipend for professional development, and travel expenses to Washington DC. to start the fellowship, all Scoville Fellows are paid a monthly salary of $3,500.
How to apply for Herbert Scoville Jr. Peace Fellowship 2024?
The application process for Herbert Scoville Jr. Peace Fellowship 2024 in the USA, is very smooth. The steps below will guide you:
- Create an account before beginning the Scoville Fellowship application.
- All of the required information can also be found on the online portal.
- Click this link https://theherbertscovillejrpeacefellowship.submittable.com/submit/233493/spring-2023-scoville-fellowship-application to submit your application.
- If you commence the application form and return to complete it later, Your application remains un-submitted until all required documents have been uploaded.
- Once you submit your completed application, kindly wait for a confirmation email which will be sent within 24 hours
- For more details about this fellowship, kindly visit the official website at: https://scoville.org/overview/
Documents Required for Application
The required items listed on the online application form include the following:
- A Personal essay of 750 words maximum discussing the candidate’s qualifications, interests, fellowship objectives, and career goals.
- Detailed curriculum vitae (CV) showing educational and professional data
- A policy/opinion essay of 750 words maximum answering certain questions (check the official website)
- Official transcript(s)
- Two reference letters
Deadline for Spring 2024 Fellowship: October 2, 2023
Fall 2024 Fellowship: January 8, 2024