If you’re dreaming of starting a new life and you are considering the possibility of moving to Australia to work and reside there permanently, you’re making a great choice, one that can change your life for good but it’s not all that easy.
Before you can move to Australia for work, you have to qualify for one of its work visas. Australia offers a variety of skilled work visas, and you need to be eligible to apply for any of them.
So, determining your eligibility is the first crucial step you need to take to achieve your dream of working and living in this beautiful country.
You have to assess yourself, your qualifications, and your suitability for any of the visas. In this guide, we will walk you through the assessment process, so that at the end of the process, you will know if you qualify for any of Australia’s work visas.
Australia’s skilled work visa?
The skilled work visa in Australia is a type of visa that allows anyone with specific skills and qualifications to work and live in Australia. These visas are designed to address skill shortages in the Australian labor market, which means they can be a fantastic opportunity for you if you possess the right skills. Do not forget, the right skills.
Types of Australian skilled work visas
Australia has various skilled work visas, each with its own set of eligibility criteria, you don’t have to qualify for all of them, one is fine for you.
Below are some of the most commonly sought-after visa options in Australia:
- Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189): This visa is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, a state, or a family member. For you to be eligible for this visa, you must meet the points test requirements and have an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list.
- Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190): This visa is for you, a skilled worker who is nominated by an Australian state or territory government. Before you are nominated, you must meet the state’s specific nomination requirements and have an occupation on the skilled occupation list.
- Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (subclass 491): This visa is for skilled workers nominated by a state or territory government or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a regional area. The condition with this visa type is that you have to live and work in a designated regional area for a specified period.
Now you know the different work visas we have in Australia, it’s time to assess if you are eligible for any of the visa types, and if you are, you can start your application right away.
Australian Skilled Work Visa Eligibility Assessment
To determine your eligibility for an Australian skilled work visa, you’ll need to meet the following criteria.
- Age: You must meet the age requirement; this is because your age plays a significant role in the points-based assessment system. Generally, the younger you are, the more points you can claim but you must be above 18 years old.
- Occupation: Your occupation must be on the relevant skilled occupation list; it is a must. This list is regularly updated by the Australian government to reflect the country’s changing labor market needs so you have to take note of that, your occupation can be on the list this year but won’t be next year.
- Skills assessment: You need to undergo a skills assessment. The purpose of this is to verify that your qualifications and work experience match the requirements for your nominated occupation.
- English proficiency: This is also important, most of the skilled work visas require a minimum level of English language proficiency. You can use a standardized test to prove your proficiency.
- Points test: You must score a minimum number of points in the skilled migration points test. Your points will be awarded based on factors like age, work experience, qualifications, and English language proficiency.
- Health and character requirements: You must meet health and character requirements.
- Nomination or Sponsorship: Depending on the visa subclass, you may need to be nominated by a state or territory government or be sponsored by an eligible relative.
Once you’ve assessed your eligibility and your assessment came out positive, you can gather all the necessary documents and start your visa application. The process can be done online and it is quite complex, you can seek help from an experienced immigration agent to complete the application process.
Before you apply for a skilled work visa to migrate to Australia for work, you should carry out a thorough assessment of your eligibility. If you are not eligible for any of the visa types, you don’t need to proceed with the application. It will be rejected.
On the other hand, if after your assessment, you find out that you are qualified for any of the visa types, you can proceed with your application, if you get confused, you can seek the help of an immigration agent. Your agent will guide you throughout the process.
More Related Content
- Entry Level or Associate Manufacturing Engineer Job in USA with Visa Sponsorship – How to Apply!
- Account Specialist Job in the United States with Visa Sponsorship – APPLY NOW!
- H1B Visa Sponsorship Jobs – Apply Now!
- Australia Skilled Worker Visa 2024 – APPLY NOW
- The Australian National University – Research Scholarship 2022 | How to Apply Now