This article is here to offer you details on Applications for Handshake Jobs. Handshake is an online social networking platform that connects college students seeking employment with recruiters and hiring managers.
How Does Handshake work?
When someone creates a Handshake profile, they list their interests, educational background, what they are looking for in a job, the location they want to work in, and the job role that interests them. A handshake can filter the jobs and find the best one for you based on the information you provide.
You can use Handshake by visiting their website, https://joinhandshake.com, or downloading their app, available on the App Store and Play Store.
How Does a Handshake Work for Employers?
Handshake will give each employer a score that will allow schools to see how you are using their platform.
Many factors will be put in place to gain this score, including the number of schools that have accepted or declined your request to connect with them, your profile completion level, and the number of events you have been approved to attend.
What Do Handshake Services Cost?
There is no cost associated with posting a job, registering for events on Handshake, or accessing a university on Handshake.
How to Apply for a Job on Handshake
Once you find a job that suits your preferences, you can click on “Apply.” When you are ready to apply for a job, click on “Apply” or “Quick Apply” to apply for that particular job.
In a case where you see “Quick Apply,” it shows that no document is required to apply for that job and you match all the qualifications listed by the employer.
If you see apply, it simply means that a particular job requires at least one document from the applicant. If you click on the apply button, you will receive a pop-up that shows what documents are required to apply for that particular job, and you can select from any of your existing documents or you can upload a new document. If you click on the submit button without uploading the required document, the application will not be submitted.
However, you can’t apply for a job without a Handshake account because you will need to set up your profile, which holds useful information about you, documents, your past job experience, etc.
How to Create a Handshake Account
The steps listed below will walk you through how to register an account on Handshake.
- Open the official handshake website at https://joinhandshake.com on your device.
- Once the homepage is open, click on “Sign Up” on the navigation bar.
- You will be asked to fill in your signup details, which include your email address.
- Also, you will be required to fill in the name of your school.
- create your password
- Fill in your first name, last name, education level, graduation month, and graduation year; when finished, click “Done.”
- You will get a confirmation email to complete your sign-up. Once you receive the email, click on the link to confirm your account registration, and you will be redirected to a new page to log in.
How to Set Up Your Handshake Profile
Every student has a profile level bar that indicates how far you have completed your profile; once you have completed your profile, the percentage will be set to 100%.
To begin, you need to fill out the various parts of the profile,
- Begin with the “My Journey” field, in which you can describe your interests, skills, and experience.
- Fill out your education section, click on the pencil icon next to your university name, and some input fields will open. Input your major and start and end dates.
- Next, fill in your previous work experience. Make sure your work experience has a title, employer name, time period, location, and description of the job duties performed.
- Fill in the organizations and extracurricular activities you are involved with at school.
- Next, input the courses that you have taken in school.
- Finally, you can add any project you have worked on; the project should have a name, your position, a URL, and a time duration from the start date to the end date.
- To complete this category, click on the pencil icon in the “Interests” section. Complete the Job Hunt field: job interests, cities, roles, and industries. Once all are completed, click on “Save.”
- For skills, add technical skills like SQL along with soft skills like communication. The more skills you list, the better your chances are of showing up in an employer search.
- Later, add documents such as your resume, cv, and cover letter and upload them by clicking the upload button.
- Lastly, complete your personal information by clicking on the pencil icon. Click on the home town, demographic information, gender, and ethnicity in order to complete them.
If all fields are completed, your progress bar will hit 100%. With all this information in place, you can now proceed to apply for jobs.
Once you have successfully registered your account, you are free to log in to your Handshake account anytime.
Signing into Handshake
To log in to your Handshake account, you will need the email address you registered with and your password.
A new page will come up that requires you to fill in your email; once you have inputted your email and clicked on the continue button, a new page will come up that requires you to fill in your password.
If the details provided are correct, you will be redirected to a new page that shows you are successfully logged in.
How to find on-campus positions on Handshake
To find jobs, click on the jobs link on the navigation bar; this will take you directly to the job search page.
You can find jobs in which you are interested and apply from the list on the left. There are different options for viewing the jobs available. To find jobs available on campus, click on the “on-campus” option; this will filter all the jobs available and bring out the jobs specified within the campus positions.
Also, you can set the location of the job; the default location is set to a 50-mile radius within the campus area.
You can also click on “all filters.” On this filter page, there are many other filter options like “employer choices,” “industry, campus interviewing,” etc.
How to Attach a New Document on Handshake
If you decide to attach a new document, click on your initials in the top right corner, select Documents, and then Add New Documents. Once you pick up or drag and drop a new document from your computer,
You will see a preview of the document you selected. You can decide to give the document a name and select a document type. Then you can now submit the document by clicking on “Add Documents.”
How to Make your Documents Visible
Documents that are set to display publicly can be seen by clicking on “manage documents” at the right side of your profile page. You can decide which documents you want to be visible, and employers will be able to view and download your documents. Handshake allows you to attach only one visible document.
Handshake job Application Status
Students can keep track of their applications in the application section; employers update the application status; when a job application is submitted, the status is set to pending by default; an application status that shows pending indicates that the employer has not updated the application status.
The application status is grouped into three:
- Pending – indicates that the employer has not yet reviewed the application.
- Reviewed means the application is being reviewed by an employer.
- Hired: This means you have been hired for the job you applied for.
You can click on the jobs and then applications to view the number of pending and reviewed applications you have.
Most employers will not update the application status. In this case, you can click on the name of the employer to locate their contact information. You can reach out to the employer directly and request that they update your job application.
How to Apply via Handshake FAQs
Are handshake jobs legit?
Handshake is a trusted online job platform, but like other online job platforms, job search scams can occur. In a situation where you feel uncomfortable with a job requirement, you can either back away from applying for the job or you can proceed with caution.
Is Handshake U.S.-based?
For now, Handshake Marketplace is only available to businesses situated within the United States.
Does Handshake charge for Job Postings?
No, Handshake will not charge you for job postings, events you attend, or accessing universities. Handshake has a free service product that covers all activities on the platform.
What documents should I upload to Handshake?
You can upload documents like your cover letter, resume, and letter of recommendation to your Handshake profile.
More Related Content
- ICGEB Smart Fellowship Programme 2023 for Developing Countries – How to Apply
- HISA Exchange Program in Egypt – Fully Founded 2023
- United Nations Local Pathways Fellowship 2023 Program for Youths Worldwide – Apply Now
- 2023 Jobs for Caregiver in USA With Visa Sponsorship – APPLY NOW!
- TaiwanICDF Scholarship 2023 – For Undergraduate, Masters and PhD Students