In regards to Alan Watts quotes, here is a quick question for you, who is Alan Watts? Many people already know who he is, but a majority of the world population still doesn’t know who this person is, which is kind of strange given the popularity and fame of Alan Watts.
If you would love to know who Alan Watts is and learn of his many inspiring quotes, then you would have to continue reading the content of this post.
Alan Watts Quotes
Who is Alan Watts? Alan Watts was a philosopher of British descent. Asides’ from being a philosopher, the renowned Alan was also a speaker and an author. Unfortunately, Alan passed away back in 1973. However, his legacy continues to live on via his many inspirational quotes and speeches some of which have millions of views on YouTube even though he is no more.
20 Alan Watts quotes
Now that you already know who Alan Watts is, here are 20 of the best Alan Watts quotes that you will find really interesting and eventually blow your mind.
- “We cannot be more sensitive to pleasure without being more sensitive to pain.”
- “There will always be suffering. But we must not suffer over the suffering.”
- “Life exists only at this very moment, and in this moment it is infinite and eternal, for the present moment is infinitely small; before we can measure it, it has gone, and yet it exists forever….”
- “The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.”
- “Every individual is a unique manifestation of the Whole, as every branch is a particular outreaching of the tree.”
- “When you get free from certain fixed concepts of the way the world is, you find it is far more subtle, and far more miraculous, than you thought it was.”
- “But I’ll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you’ll come to understand that you’re connected with everything.”
- “There is always something taboo, something repressed, un-admitted, or just glimpsed quickly out of the corner of one’s eye because a direct look is too unsettling. Taboos lie within taboos, like the skin of an onion.”
- “To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don’t grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float.”
- “This is the real secret of life — to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.”
- “No valid plans for the future can be made by those who have no capacity for living now. I have realized that the past and future are real illusions that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.”
- “If you really understand Zen… you can use any book. You could use the Bible. You could use Alice in Wonderland. You could use the dictionary, because… the sound of the rain needs no translation.”
- “Try to imagine what it will be like to go to sleep and never wake up… now try to imagine what it was like to wake up having never gone to sleep.”
- “Meditation is the discovery that the point of life is always arrived at in the immediate moment.”
- “The sense of wrong is simply failure to see where something fits into a pattern, to be confused as to the hierarchical level upon which an event belongs.”
- “Only words and conventions can isolate us from the entirely undefinable something which is everything.”
- “The only Zen you’ll find on mountain tops is the Zen you bring up there with you.”
- “The more we struggle for life (as pleasure), the more we are actually killing what we love.”
- “You didn’t come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here.”
- “To be free from convention is not to spurn it but not to be deceived by it.”
These are some of the best quotes from Alan Watts. You can also do your research and search for more of his quotes on YouTube. Or you can check wealthygorilla for more of his quotes to inspire you today.