African Academy of Sciences (AAS) 2022 Call for APTI Fellowship Program for PhD Students is now available for applications. The African Academy of Sciences (AAS) has implemented the African Postdoctoral Training Initiative (APTI Fellowship) in partnership with the United States National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Bill Gates Foundation.
The APTI Fellowship provides the platform for fellows to be trained and supported to become scientific leaders who can advocate for increased research and innovation projects in Africa. This is achieved through 4-year postdoctoral fellowships where each of the APTI Fellows is placed in various laboratories of the National Institute of Health Centers.
Are you classified as talented early-career African scientists who wish to be trained abroad and return to their home institutions and become scientific leaders in their community, to help solve global health and development issues? If yes, the African Postdoctoral Training Initiative (APTI) has an amazing opportunity for you.
Selected fellows for the APTI Fellowship are expected to be a part of an African regional and global web of collaborations connecting to their home institutions. Meanwhile, the APTI fellows will be linked to existing African and global scientific networks and will be expected to nurture these scientific collaborations and relationships.
Also Read: Sony Xperia 5 IV Certification Now Suggests That It Could Be Coming Soon
Summary of African Academy of Sciences (AAS) – APTI Fellowship Program
- Type: Postgraduate
- Organization: African Academy of Sciences
- Course to study: Not Specified
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: September 30, 2022
About African Academy of Sciences
African Academy of Sciences (AAS) is a non-partisan, nonprofit pan-African organization. It has the vision to see transformed lives on the African continent through science.
AAS has a tripartite mandate to recognize excellence through its highly prestigious fellowship and award schemes, providing advisory functions for shaping Africa’s Science, Technology, and Innovation strategies and policies. AAS also seeks to implement key Science, Technology, and Innovation programmes, that address Africa’s developmental challenges.
Also Read: This Is the Worst Time to Purchase an Action Camera from DJI or GoPro
African Academy of Sciences (AAS) APTI Fellowship Program Aims and Benefits
- In the first two years of the fellowship at the NIH, APTI fellows shall be engaged as Postdoctoral Fellow under the NIH Intramural Visiting Fellow Programme
- Provision of Insurance will to the fellow and dependents that are living in the US
- The Training support will include Leadership, Management, Mentoring, Grant Writing, Resilience and Wellness workshops and courses through the Office of Intramural Training and Education (OITE).
- Upon successful completion of the two-year postdoctoral fellowship at the NIH, the APTI fellows shall be supported to transition into being independent researchers as follows.
- A grant of up to USD 226,800 will be given to fellows to support their years 3 and 4 of the APTI fellowship
- Salary support of up to USD 38,400 per year subject to the home institution’s HR provisions. This is to ensure that APTI fellows spend at least 50% of their personnel time on their APTI fellowship
- Fellows will receive Research support of up to USD $50,000 per year
- An Equipment purchase support of up to USD $50,000
How to Apply for the African Academy of Sciences (AAS) APTI Fellowship 2022
- Make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria for APTI Fellowship and if the call is suitable for you
- Locate the host institution and work closely with them when writing your proposal, to ensure that your host institution can provide you with the support you will need to implement your research project.
- It might want to allow time for other people to review your draft (Your former supervisor, peers, and other scientists can give helpful support and feedback
- Upon successful submission of your proposal, you will receive an ‘acknowledgment of receipt’ e-mail.
- Successfully selected applicants will be matched with an appropriate NIH intramural laboratory
- For more details, visit AAS website at: https://www.aasciences.africa/calls
Also Read: SUPARCO Apprenticeship Program 2023 – Apply Now!
Requirements for APTI Fellowship Program 2022 Qualification
- Applicants Must be citizens of an African country and must be employed in an academic, research, or government position in an African country
- He/She must have a relevant doctoral degree awarded no more than 7 years before the application submission deadline. Note that Applicants whose doctoral degrees were awarded earlier may be considered subject to justification.
- Applicants Must have less than 5 years of relevant research experience after the award of their doctoral degree, by their start date at the NIH.
- Applicants Must be fluent in English both reading, writing, speaking, and listening.
We mentioned earlier that the deadline date for APTI Fellowship Program is September 30, 2022.
Also Read: Everything you Need to Know About CISA Certification – How to Pass Exam