The African Studies Centre Leiden, is offering individuals interested in Africa and possessing a completed Master’s thesis on a related subject, an opportunity to win up to €500. In addition to these financial benefits, the Candidate’s thesis will be published in the ASCL’s African Studies Collection.
Africa Thesis Award 2023
This prestigious award is presented annually to a student who has completed a master’s thesis based on research conducted on an African topic. The winning thesis is awarded a prize of €500 and will be published in the ASCL’s African Studies Collection.
Do you wish to apply for the Africa Thesis Award 2023? If so, then you are required to meet the following criteria:
- You should be a master’s student who has completed your thesis at a university on the African continent or in the Netherlands between August 31, 2022, and August 31, 2023.
- Students in the Netherlands must have received a grade of 8 out of 10 or above.
- Students from Universities outside the Netherlands with a grade A (or equivalent) may apply if the accompanying letter from the supervisor confirms the thesis’ excellence and supports the grade score.
Award Conditions and Qualities Required
- The submitted thesis must be based on independent empirical research focusing on an African country, region, or its migrant communities around the globe.
- All theses in the fields of social sciences or humanities, such as geography, political science, anthropology, development studies, economics, history, religion, or literature, can be submitted in English, French, or Dutch. For a thesis written in Dutch, it must be attached with a five-page English summary.
- The ASCL is particularly interested in theses that stand out in terms of subject, theory, and methodology. The jury values original approaches, new insights, and a combination of scientific and societal relevance. The importance of the thesis in relation to development-related issues, its style, readability, and the interest of the general public are also taken into consideration.
To submit your thesis for consideration, please ensure that you include the following:
- A digital version of the thesis in PDF format.
- The thesis summary (maximum of 300 words)
- A signed letter of recommendation from your supervisor, providing details about the quality of the thesis, an explanation of the grade, and information about the educational institution from which you have graduated.
- Please send your complete application to [email protected].
For more information, kindly visit the official website on: https://www.ascleiden.nl/content/africa-thesis-award
The deadline for applications is Wednesday, August 31. The award ceremony, where the winner will present their thesis, will be held on a special occasion to honor the recipient.
The Africa Thesis Award 2023 is a prestigious opportunity for master’s students with an interest in African studies. Participants will not only stand a chance to win a cash prize and have their thesis published but also contribute to the promotion and advancement of African cultures and societies.
Don’t miss this chance to showcase your research and make a meaningful impact in the field of African studies.