LinkedIn is a social network like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. It is owned by a big tech company: Microsoft.
But unlike most social networks, LinkedIn is a professional networking site, designed to help people make business connections, share their experiences and resumes, and find jobs.
What is LinkedIn – LinkedIn Essentials
Although it has a professional focus, LinkedIn is quite similar to social networking sites like Facebook. It’s based on principles like connecting to friends (or, in the case of LinkedIn, “connections,”), posting updates, sharing and liking content, and instant messaging other users.
LinkedIn also puts a professional spin on ideas you know from Facebook. Your profile, for example, becomes a resume, complete with work experience, accomplishments, recommendations, and referrals from colleagues.
Linkedin offers what you don‘t get in other sites, like a full-featured career board, where you can find jobs by searching and applying for them.
LinkedIn is very compatible with many employment services, you may be able to share your LinkedIn profile instead of painstakingly filling out a long online form.
Why should you join LinkedIn
Below are four major reasons you should consider being part of the social platform.
- To give the Google-verse positive information about you.
- Improve your Search Engine Optimization and web presence.
- Attract prospects by showing them how you can benefit them.
- Show that you are a professional.
How to sign up on LinkedIn
To join LinkedIn and create your profile:
- Navigate to the LinkeIn Sign Up Page.
- Type your first and last name, email address, and a password you’ll use.
- Note: You must use your true name when creating a profile. Company names and pseudonyms are not allowed, as explained in the linkedIn User Agreement.
- Click Join now.
- Complete any additional steps as prompted.
What you can do with LinkedIn
As stated above, LinkedIn is not just a social network but also a professional platform. Below are the things you can do with LinkedIn.
- Look for jobs.
- Get founded by recruiters.
- Use it as a research tool for career-related information.
- Expand your network and connections.
- Build your credibility and personal brand.
The premium membership is a subscription version of LinkedIn that adds a number of additional features, such as online professional development classes, insights into who’s viewing your profile, and the ability to instant message anyone on LinkedIn, even if they’re not in your network.
LinkedIn combines the social and professional factors on the same platform. It is a fun-packed, educative, and rewarding platform that can also pass in for a job hunting and recruiting site. You can check out the platform now and grab all its amazing opportunities.