Everyone that is a resident of the Maryland state who is currently unemployed might be eligible for the unemployment insurance benefits. I said might be because there are certain eligibility criteria that you need to meet in order to receive these benefits. The Maryland Department of Labor’s (DOL) Division of Unemployment Insurance is been paid through an unemployment debit card.
In this article today we are going to be taking a look at the eligibility criteria and the application process. We are also going to look at how to create an account so that you can successfully apply for unemployment insurance in Maryland. Therefore without further waste of time let’s go ahead and jump in because we have a lot to discuss on this.
Unemployment Debit Card Maryland
In order for the unemployment department of Maryland to provide benefits to indigenes of the State the main use of the unemployment debit card. The state of Maryland issues employment benefits which are simply paid to the unemployment debit card being offered by the Bank of America. Benefits can also be paid through direct deposit or by a paper check.
The important thing to note here is that the Maryland Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits are no longer paid through the unemployment debit card. The department has stopped supporting payment through this debit card for security and fraudulent reasons. Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance (the Division) stopped payment of benefits to debits cards on May 21th 2021.
Maryland Unemployment Insurance (UI)
The Maryland Unemployment Insurance (UI) is the division that is responsible for paying out benefits to all unemployment beneficiaries. As I have mentioned benefits are no longer being paid through the unemployment debit card. Rather all beneficiaries are encouraged to change the payment method to either direct deposit or paper check.
The direct deposit payment method is a more secure form of electronic wire transfer which is not typically prone to front or security threats. Therefore claimants are strongly advised to switch to the direct basic method of payment to receive their benefits. Although all claimants need to have a checking account that is capable of receiving funds for this to happen.
Benefits of Direct Deposit Payment Method
Direct deposit methods are the most convenient and the most secure way of getting paid your benefits than a debit card and checks. One of the reasons for this is that it eliminates the possibility of theft and loss of the card or check. Below are all the benefits of the direct deposit payment method:
- Benefits payments are conveniently and directly deposited into beneficiaries’ accounts.
- There is no money to keep track of your unemployment insurance benefits debit card.
- This method of direct deposit payment is completely free no payment or fee is charged.
- Tracking of your unemployment insurance benefits payment can be done through your bank account instead of third-party websites.
Above are some of the benefits of activating the direct payment method on your account instead of using a check or debit card.
Who is Eligible for Maryland Unemployment Insurance?
Before you will be able to apply for the Maryland unemployment insurance benefits you first of all need to be eligible. It is only those that are eligible that would successfully apply and receive their application approved. Below are the eligibility criteria:
- Unemployed, and
- Worked in Maryland during the past 12 months (this period may be longer in some cases), and
- Earned a minimum amount of wages determined by Maryland guidelines, and
- Actively seeking work each week you are collecting benefits.
Now that you have seen the eligibility criteria if you discover that you are eligible it is now time to move to the application process.
How to Apply for the Maryland Unemployment Insurance Benefits
There are basically two ways to apply for the Maryland unemployment insurance benefits if you are qualified or eligible. The first way is simply to contact their customer care to indicate your interest to apply in person. Why is the other way which we are going to be talking about in detail in this article by applying online?
To apply online in front of me create an account so that you can access the application portal with your account to successfully apply. When creating your account you will choose a username and password and then enter your basic details about yourself to create your account before going over to the application proper.
How to Create a Maryland Unemployment Benefits Account
In order to successfully create your account follow the below procedure:
- Open any browser on your device.
- Using that browser head over to beacon.labor.maryland.gov/.
- Enter your name or social security number and any other thing required of you.
- Set up your security question.
- Provide the effective date for your claim.
- Provide physical and mailing addresses and demographic information.
- Answer the screening questions.
- Select method of payment which is direct deposit.
- Finally enter any other information required of you and click on submit
Make sure to take your time to go through the entire application process properly filling in the correct information. So that your application can be granted and you start receiving your weekly benefit payments when you file for certification.
How to Switch to Direct Deposit if you have Already Created your Account
Follow the below procedure to do that:
- Use any browser and head over to beacon.labor.maryland.gov/beacon/claimant-page.html.
- Now select a change payment method.
- Select direct deposit.
- Enter your bank information.
- Finally, click on submit.
After submitting your bank details will be verified and a payment method will be added. From there on out you can now receive your benefits directly in your account.
How can I Contact Unemployment Benefits Insurance Maryland?
To contact them you need to visit their website and click on contact us. From there you can get access to their various contacts and also their email address. You can see please give them a call or send them an email concerning any questions you have. If you want a direct link to their customer care contact click on this link www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/unemployment.shtml.