There are many jobs available for Social Workers in the USA. It doesn’t matter if you are a permanent resident or a foreigner, you can apply for these job positions. If you have a social work license and a degree in social work or any field related to it, you have a high chance of getting a social work job in the United States.
In this article, you would learn more about the role of the social workers, the available job positions, and how to apply.
Social Worker Jobs USA
The role of a social worker is a very sensitive one and you may be surprised to know that individuals in this field are in high demand in the United States. Social workers are responsible for improving the well-being of individuals and families. They do this by interacting with them, listening to them, and offering useful solutions and plans that would improve their lives.
They also interact with and research the less privileged community. This includes people living in poverty, the unemployed, the abused, prison inmates, drug addicts, and lots more.
If you are part of this noble profession, there are so many opportunities for you to work and advance your career in the United States. As you read on, you would learn more about the available job opportunities and how to apply.
Federal Government Jobs for Social Workers
The United States government also offers job opportunities to those who want to advance their social works career. You can work under the Department of Veteran Affairs as a social worker. The federal jobs for social workers are open only to U.S Citizens but foreigners may be considered if no citizen is found qualified. As you read on, you would learn how to search and apply for any of the vacant job positions.
Social Worker Jobs USA Requirements
To become a social worker, you should meet the requirements below:
- You must have at least a Bachelor’s degree in social work or other related fields. This degree must also be approved by Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
- Also, you must be licensed by a state authority to practice social work independently. You should have either the social worker License or the Liminal Social worker License.
- Lastly, you should have good speaking, writing, reading, and listening skills.
These are the general requirements for the Job. when you apply for any position, the employer may ask you for more documents.
Usajobs.gov is a job application portal owned by the United States Government. This portal contains various job listings and it is designed to connect federal employers with job seekers. This portal is the official employment site and it has made it easy for job seekers to search for federal employment opportunities and apply.
So many government departments post their job vacancies on this platform and get qualified applicants through it. You can apply for as many job opportunities as you want on this platform including the role of a social worker.
How to Apply for Social Workers Jobs Near Me
You can apply for a social worker job online by following the guide below:
- Go to usajobs.gov with your device.
- On the opened page, enter “Social workers” into the search field.
- Enter your “City”, “State”, “ZIP code” or “Country” under location and click on the search button.
- You can tap on any of the categories on the right-hand side of your screen to get a more filtered search i.e. If you want to apply for a Federal social worker job, click on any of the categories under “Federal Employees”.
- Read through the job listings on the page and click on the one that suits you.
- Read through the job details carefully. The duties, requirements, documents required, and other details.
- Click on “Apply Now” on the left-hand side of the page.
- If you already have a usajobs.gov account, log in to your account with your “Email address” and account “Password”.
- Choose “Create an account” if you don’t have a USA Jobs account.
When you access your account on the platform, fill in the job application form correctly and upload every document that will be required from you.
You can always log in to your account on the platform to check your application status, add more job applications, save and share job opportunities, and lots more.
How to Apply for Social Work Jobs in the USA as a Foreigner
If you are a foreigner, you can apply for social work job online. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Open a web browser on your device.
- Enter “Social Work Jobs in the USA for Foreigners” into the sech bar.
- Click on “More Jobs” on the search result page to view the job listing.
- Go through the Job listings on the page and tap or click on the one you want to apply for.
- On the right-hand side of the page, go through the job qualifications, the benefits, and other descriptions.
- Click on the “Apply” button on the left-hand side of the page.
- Click on “Apply” and sign in with your Google account.
Follow the rest instructions on your screen to upload your resume and submit the application job If you are qualified for the job, you will be contacted by the employer for an interview.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I be a Social Worker in the USA?
You can work as a social worker in the United States if you meet the requirements. You should have a Bachelor’s degree in social work or any other related field.
Also, you should also be a Licensed Social Worker (LSW) and the Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW). This would qualify you to apply for any career in the profession.
How Can I Get a Social Worker Job in the U.S as Foreigner?
Getting a social worker job in the U.S as a foreigner is a more difficult process. This is because most of the federal jobs are open to only permanent residents except on rare occasions. You can get a social worker job in a non-profit organization or any other company which is not a federal agency.
To get the job, your educational qualifications must meet U.S. education standards. If you got your degree outside the United States, your degree would be reviewed by the International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service.
If your degree is reviewed and approved, you can go ahead to apply for the social work licensure.
Are Social Workers in Demand in the United States?
Social workers are needed in the United States and this is because of the important roles they play in society. Social workers are needed to work with different groups of people. They are needed in rehabilitation centers, nonprofit organizations, nursing homes, hospitals, etc. Hence, they are in high demand in the United States.
Where are Social Workers Needed in the United States?
In the United States, there are certain regions where social workers are valued and highly paid. They include; New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, California, Nevada, New York, Maryland, and Hawaii. Although the pay varies by region, social workers are highly paid in these regions.
How Much do Social Workers Earn in the USA?
Social workers in the United States are well paid. They earn between $50k to $70k annually and this varies by location. The field in this career that pays the most is the Healthcare social worker and the mental health and substance abuse social worker.