If you are reading this article, you must be one of the large crowd of people asking the question, Should My Resume Be Submitted in Pdf or Word?
It could get very confusing. There are many job openings with no specification on the right or preferred format to send your Resume or your CV.
Should My Resume Be Submitted in Pdf or Word
If you have written a killer Resume, highlighting your best skills, and ran it through a grammar and spell check. How do you submit it to that company?
The format in which your PDF is submitted is very important because of lots of reasons that will be highlighted in this article.
Why Is Choosing Pdf or Word So Important?
Companies receive so many job applications per month. Sorting these articles will require certain software.
The most used software here is called the Applicant Tracking System. The software sorts these Resumes by relevance by asserting them for keywords against the job description.
If you include all the required keywords in your Resume, the ATS system will rank your content higher.
To stand out on job applications, you will have to tailor your resume to fit the job description. Include the right keywords in the resume to be favored on your applications.
Hiring managers usually do not want much stress, they will usually go for people at the top of their list.
How Do You Make Your Resume More ATS-Friendly?
Most old versions of ATS software do not read PDF files containing special characters. It is also sensitive to resume fonts. Therefore, it is advisable to submit ATS friendly version of your resume.
How do you know if your resume will be able to pass through ATS or not?
The fact is that most big will most likely use ATS. But there is little probability for small companies to use ATS.
To do well with ATS, follow the rules below;
- Don’t use charts, graphs, images, text boxes, or special formatting.
- Do not use special symbols to separate information. Unless they are standard keyboard symbols (- / *).
- Upload your resume in a Word file (.doc / .docx). If you’re going for a PDF, let your PDF contain no special characters. The same rules go for the .doc file as well.
Pdf Vs Word for Resume
Is it advisable to use PDF or Word Formats for your Resume?
They are both advisable and equally good enough in their ways during job applications.
Just ensure that your resume file format follows all the rules mentioned above and contains all the right information in the best way.
Below are the various features of these two file formats;
PDF files can be read by ATS. The following are some facts about PDF formats;
- A PDF format cannot be altered immediately after it is made.
- If you are emailing your resume directly to the hiring manager, PDF formats are the best to use.
- On virtual platforms, people can open a resume in PDF format on their screens easily.
- PDF resumes give more amazing and creative options to explore.
- You can create PDF resumes easily with software like Photoshop and Corel. With PDFs, you get lots of freedom in your layout and graphic design options on your resume.
- Sending your resume in PDF ensures the consistency of your format.
- PDFs are virus-free and compatible across all platforms.
- Using PDF formats assures you that your employer will receive your resume formatting exactly the way you see it on your screen.
These are the major features of PDF format and why it is advisable to use it to submit your resume.
The word format has various pros and cons, they are all given in the list below;
- A Word document is advisable if do not want to face the complicated nature of ATS tracking systems.
- If you are applying for a role without referrals or some internal connections, pass your resume through Word to avoid the obstacles of ATS.
- If you are applying to a very large firm, use Word Format. Some Big recruiters prefer using Word format. This is because of the type of database systems they use to save, store, organize and distribute your resume!
- It is widely available to everyone in the world.
- ATS software can easily read a Word doc resume without special characters.
- Most big companies prefer documents that are saved in a .docx format.
- One of the downsides of Word formats is that they can be edited by other people. This may happen deliberately or accidentally.
These are the major features of word formats.
Which Of Them Is Best to Use for Job Applications
We conclude that they are both good enough for different purposes. You can send them both. the following explanations will show you what to do in certain situations.
Applying To Online Jobs
If you are doing an online application, the job posting will contain instructions on how you should send your resume.
Their instructions should include what format you should send your resume. Some employers require that you use plain texts, while others will require PDF formats as an attachment.
No Format Specifications
If the sending format was not specified by the employer, it is advisable to call or ask which one is preferred. If you cannot reach the company after many attempts, send your Resume in PDF format.
However, mention that there is a word format available. You can send your resume in both formats also.
Send Resume in Word or Pdf Format
The best advice to take is that of the employer. Make sure you have instructions from the employer before sending your resume. If there is no instruction, you can attach your resume in both PDF and word format.
What Is an Applicant Tracking System (APS)?
An applicant tracking system also known as ATS, is software used to scan resumes by recruiters and employers during the hiring process. They are used to collect, sort, scan, and rank all the job applications they receive for their open positions.
This system was created for large companies that deal with several thousand inbound job applications on a daily and weekly basis.
Can ATS Read Pdf
Although it is normally disbelieved by a lot of people, PDFs are not the most ATS-friendly file type. Although it is very good for preserving the design and the formats of your resume template, it is not compatible with all types of ATS software.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Know If Your PDF File Is Okay?
To be sure that your PDF file is valid or not, simply open your PDF files and select some text. If the text can be selected, then there is definitive text inside and the file is not an image.
Can PDF Resumes Be Parsed?
Image-based PDF files can never be parsed by the Resume Parser. If an applicant submitted an image-based resume, they will need to either submit another text-based resume or their resume will need to be manually entered through the Wizard of the Employee.
Can A PDF Contain Virus?
Of course, they can. PDFs are one of the most widely used file types in the world and hackers and bad actors can find ways to use these normally harmless files just like dot-com files, JPGs, Gmail, and Bitcoin to create security threats via malicious codes.
What Is a Secure PDF?
when a PDF document is secured, it is not supposed to be edited by someone else only by the author.