Are you planning on traveling out of the country soon and you have to Prepare For IELTS? Do you feel confused about what areas to focus on and the materials to read in preparation? If this is your case, then this article is sure to give each of your questions the answers you seek. This IELTS is a test you have to take and pass to show proof of proficiency in English communication skills when you want to travel to for study or work to places where English is used as a language of communication. This test is very necessary and important when traveling to places like Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States of America, and the United Kingdom.
Prepare For IELTS
To Prepare For IELTS may require a lot from you and this article is here to guide you with the necessary steps to take in order to pass the test thoroughly. The above-mentioned countries would not consider anyone planning on coming into their terrain for work, study, or migration without the results of the IELTS.
As earlier mentioned, the IELTS which means the International English Language Testing System is the world’s leading, high-stakes English test that measures the English language skills of people who want to work where English is used as a language of communication. The test scores are graded using a nine-band scale of a range of zero (0) to nine (9) to clearly identify levels of proficiency.
The IELTS test comes in four parts or sections. An applicant would be tested on all parts. These parts are the reading, writing, speaking, and listening tests. The writing, reading, and listening sections are taken in one day and in one sitting without breaks in-between. The speaking is usually taken days before or after the other sections depending on your center. The duration for the test is 2 hours, 45 minutes. The listening, writing, and reading sections take 30, 60, and 60 minutes respectively, while the speaking section takes about 11 to 14 minutes.
In the same light, the IELTS are of two types. This means that the test is available in two variations, which are;
- IELTS Academic: this is the test available for people applying for higher educational or professional registration.
- IELTS General Training: this type of IELTS is available for people migrating or applying for secondary education, training programs, and work experience.
Either type, you would be well assessed in all parts of the test. The test exercises fairness to all applicants regardless of culture and race. The test is also considerate In the same light, there are different parts of the test to prepare for.
How To Prepare For IELTS
There are different ways and measures to take to prepare for the test. One can Prepare For IELTS online in the comforts of their homes, in any part of the world, get free training online, or get a pdf to practice with.
Preparing for IELTS makes you ready to demonstrate your English language skills. The basic ways to prepare for the IELTS test are to;
- Register as soon as possible: If you are planning to travel to a country that requires an IELTS test result from you. You should register for the test early enough. This is because the location and centers for the test may take a limited number of test takers for a particular date. It is safer to contact any center of your choice. Make payment for the registration of the test so you could get an early schedule.
- Understand the format of the test: you should get familiar with the format of the test and how it is taken. You can achieve this by reviewing the content of the test as well as the questions and task types for each section of the test. Another thing is to read through the IELTS rules and regulations. These are brought to your notice when applying and a declaration is included in the application form.
- Practice with sample test questions: this practice comes in handy because undergoing this practice and completing sample test materials is helpful in preparing you for your test. Attempting sample test questions gives you an overall idea of what to expect in the different sections of the test.
- Use the official IELTS practice materials: using the official IELTS practice materials is very helpful. The IELTS has developed two sets of official practice materials, designed to help you understand the test format and the types of test questions to be expected. It helps and grooms you to be conscious of time by testing yourself under timed conditions. You can also review your answers and compare them with the model answers. These practice materials are sold online.
- Consider a preparation course: you could get assistance with test preparation from IELTS centers and language schools around the world. These centers and language schools offer IELTS preparation courses. Taking a preparation course is not mandatory but many test takers who attended find out that doing so helps them improve their performance.
- Double-check the time and date of your test. Arrange and carry the right identification document with. And travel ahead of the set time to the test location and center in order to allow enough rest before the day of the test.
Having done all this, you can be said to be prepared for the test. It is always advisable for applicants to check with the country they are applying to in order to know the type of IELTS to take.
Preparation Tips For IELTS Test Day
After the entire preparation process, the actual IELTS test comes next. Here are some tips that may come in handy in preparing you better for the rest of the day. These tips include;
- Cross-check your identification document and carry the right one.
- Get something to eat beforehand as there are no breaks between sections.
- Make sure to get to your test location and center on time.
- Try to calm and relaxed as much as possible.
- Ask the staff at the center questions on things you are not too clear about.
- Review the rules and regulations of the IELTS test.
- Follow the instructions given to you. Some of these instructions are to switch off your mobile phones and any other electronic devices.
- Be conscious of time when undergoing the test.
- Listen to your supervisor carefully.
- Always read the instruction on your question paper first before attempting to answer.
- Give the test your best.
After the test, you can check your results online. There are about three websites through which you can check for your results via the official website of IELTS.
Your online practice has been made easy with the availability of mobile applications which can help you prepare for the IELTS test. There are several apps available on the Google Play Store and Apple Store at your disposal.
Downloading any of the apps would give you access to different questions from all sections of the test. Following through with these could in a good way to help prepare you for the test to come. However, we should know that there is yet to be an official app to help you practice for the IELTS test.
The IELTS makes special arrangements for people with disabilities, medical conditions, and also nursing mothers. IELTS gives extra time to these sets of persons and also gives assistance in reading, writing, and even listening.
Recommended: IELTS On Paper Or Computer – IELTS Registration