Interested applicants are hereby notified that applications for the Microsoft Research Ph.D. Fellowship 2022 intake For Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA).
About Microsoft Research Ph.D. Fellowship
Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship is a program that is recognized globally, it seeks to identify and empower the next generation of exceptional computing research talent.
The prestigious Microsoft recognizes the value of diversity in computing and aims to increase the pipeline of talent receiving advanced degrees in computing-related fields to build a stronger and inclusive computing-related research community.
The PhD fellowships is offered across Asia-Pacific, Canada and the United States, EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa), Latin America, Australia and New Zealand.
Summary of Microsoft Research Ph.D. Scholarship
- Eligible Countries: Countries in Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA)
- Number of Awards: Not specified
- Type of program: Fellowship
- Application Deadline: June 7, 2022
- Value of Award: The sum of $15,000 USD is provided to help complete research as part of their doctoral thesis work for the academic year 2023–24.
Also, all Eligible recipients will be offered a 12-week paid internship with Microsoft Research’s Cambridge, UK lab, or the Microsoft Africa Research Institute (MARI).
There will be also lots of Opportunities made available to build relationships with research teams at Microsoft and receive mentorship.
How to Apply for Microsoft Research Ph.D. Fellowship
Interested and Eligible Candidates for this scholarship are encouraged to go through all application requirements before applying.
- Click this link to submit a proposal for this fellowship
- You will need to Enter your login details or sign up for new users in the space provided
Requirements for Microsoft Research Ph.D. Fellowship
- Students are expected to support the mission of Microsoft which is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more and embrace opportunities to foster diverse and inclusive cultures within their communities.
- It is compulu for Ph.D. students to be enrolled at a university in Africa
- The student’s proposed research must be closely related to one of the themes at Microsoft Africa Research Institute
AI/ML/NLP/data science, Health, Sustainability, Human-computer interaction
- To be eligible, students must be entering their second year or beyond of their PhD program sometime between August 2022 – July 2023 having taken into account transfers, approved leaves of absence, etc.
- All PhD students are required to continue enrolling at the university in the beginning of academic year 2022 or forfeit the award, as the Fellowships are not available for extension. Students who require time away for family or medical leave will be accommodated. Any uncertainty that a need for time away will affect the award, you can contact Microsoft Research Fellowships at [email protected].
- The awards payment will be made directly to the university and dispersed according to the university’s policies. It is the discretion of Microsoft to determine how any remaining funds will be used if the student is no longer qualified to receive funding
- The Funding is strictly for use only during the recipient’s time in the PhD program; meaning it cannot be used for support in a role past graduation, such as a postdoc or faculty position.
- Interested applicants for this fellowship will need to confirm their PhD program starting month and year, as well as their expected graduation month and year.
- Successful applicants for the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship are subject to disciplinary proceedings for inappropriate behavior, including but not limited to discrimination, harassment (including sexual harassment), or plagiarism will forfeit their funding.
- All Ph.D. students submitting a proposal should be able to communicate their research (both in writing and verbally) in English.
Microsoft Research Ph.D. Fellowship FAQ
- Is an EMEA PhD Scholars allowed to submit a proposal for this fellowship?
Microsoft EMEA PhD Scholars may be allowed to submit a proposal for this fellowship.
- if am attending a university outside of Africa, can I still apply?
Please note that Students outside of Africa are not eligible for this program.
- Am not in my third year or beyond during the submission period, am I eligible?
To be eligu, Students must be entering their third year or beyond of their Ph.D. program sometime between August 2022 – July 2023 having taken into account transfers, approved leaves of absence, etc.
- What is the required language for the proposal to be submitted
English language for all documents