The ISYA Travel Scholarships 2023 is inviting young African Astronomers to its 45th International School for Young Astronomers (ISYA). The school will be held in Cape Town, South Africa from 19 November – 9 December 2023.
ISYA Travel Scholarships 2023
The ISYA school is a program designed by the International Astronomical Union (IAU), the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters (NASL), and the South African Astronomical Observatory (SAAO). This school is designed to run for a duration of three weeks.
The International School for Young Astronomers (ISYA) is open to early graduate students (MSc/PhD) in Physics, Astronomy, or Astrophysics from African countries. However, consideration is also given to final-year BSc students who desires to pursue a graduate program in Astronomy and Astrophysics.
Details About ISYA Travel Scholarships 2023
- Type of program: Postgraduate
- Host Organization: The International Astronomical Union (IAU)
- Country to study: Cape Town, South Africa
- Target: Graduate students (MSc/PhD) in Physics, Astronomy or Astrophysics
- Gender: Men and Women
- Of Scholars: 30
- Duration: 3 weeks (9am to 7pm daily)
- Application Deadline: March 31, 2023
About International Astronomical Union (IAU)
Based in Paris, France, the International Astronomical Union is a non-governmental organization founded in 1919, it was established with the objective of advancing astronomy in all aspects, including promoting astronomical research, outreach, education, and development through global cooperation.
The International Astronomical Union (IAU) consists of individual members, professional astronomers, junior scientists, and national members, as well as professional associations, national societies, or academic institutions. The Individual members of the IAU are further organized into divisions, committees, and working groups.
These groups center on particular sub-disciplines, subjects, or initiatives. In 2018, the Union had over 13,700 individual members, across 90 countries, and 82 national members.
IAU’s key activities include serving as a forum for scientific conferences, sponsoring about nine annual symposia, and holding a triannual General Assembly that sets policy and includes various scientific meetings.
Benefits of ISYA Travel Scholarships
Upon successful acceptance to the school, recipients will receive coverage for flights to and from South Africa (including domestic flights), accommodation, and subsistence at the ISYA.
How to Apply for ISYA Travel Scholarships 2023?
- All Interested and qualified Students should visit the International Astronomical Union (IAU) at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfAo8OzHFOQ3vwnyTVO-9_ZVScxCKJs1fpGqTzkAOK23m5JXw/viewform
- Access the above webpage and complete the application form which includes; academic information, motivation, and a 3-page CV
- Submit two letters of recommendation from supervisors to [email protected].
- Note that the referees should send the letters to the above-mentioned email address and NOT the applicant.
Eligibility Criteria for ISYA Travel Scholarships 2023 Qualification
- Ideal Students include early graduate students (MSc/PhD) in Physics, Astronomy or Astrophysics from African countries,
- Consideration will also be given to final-year BSc students with a strong intention of entering a graduate program in Astronomy and Astrophysics.
- Selection of Students is restricted to regions where fewer opportunities are available for students to be directly exposed to the full extent of up-to-date astrophysics, both on theory and observations.
- Selected students are expected to commit 100% of their time to participate in all the planned activities held over the three-week duration of the school
March 31, 2023.