The aim of the International Livestock Research Institute; ILRI Ph.D. Graduate Fellowship is to recruit a Ph.D. graduate fellow to work on assessing the wildlife value chain and interspecies transmission risk of diseases that are communicable from animals to humans (zoonotic) via a One Health approach in Vietnam.
Subsequently, ILRI Ph.D. Graduate Fellowship successful fellow will be hosted at the Animal and Human Health program at ILRI.
About ILRI Ph.D. Graduate Fellowship
In Vietnam, trade and Wildlife farming has grown into a multimillion industry, this industry mainly supplies food, income, and other livelihoods to many communities, and supplements food production gaps from the livestock industry in other areas.
The major threat facing this occupation is its ability to serve as a source of novel zoonotic pathogens. Most emerging diseases are zoonoses according to published studies, and most of these are associated with wildlife.
International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) is recruiting a Ph.D. fellow to develop and implement a risk assessment framework established on the One Health approach along wildlife meat value chains to determine the magnitude of this problem.
Successful fellows of the ILRI Ph.D. Graduate Fellowship will also analyze biological samples that were collected recently from these value chains to determine the prevalence of selected zoonotic pathogens in these chains.
ILRI Ph.D. Graduate Fellowship supervisors will work with the fellow in:
- Creating a protocol for screening human and animal diseases including a collection of blood and serum samples for zoonotic diseases.
- Leading the sampling and process of the samples mentioned above for laboratory analysis.
- Developing a risk assessment framework, focusing on the risk of zoonoses spillovers from the wildmeat value chain.
- Establishing a survey for risk factors, knowledge, attitude, and perception.
- Organizing a statistical analysis and developing a disease transmission model from animal/wildlife to human.
- Draw out a thesis and at least three journal publications.
- And perform other relevant tasks as assigned by work supervisors.
How to Apply for ILRI Ph.D. Graduate Fellowship
- Interested and Eligible Candidate should submit his/her applications via the recruitment portal at: http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 26 May 2022
- On the recruitment portal, click on the “Apply Now” icon to proceed
- You will be required to provide the documents below as applications do not contain these docs. will not be considered:
Cover letter addressed to the Head of Capacity Development, ILRI expressing your interest in the fellowship position and what you can bring to the fellowship.
A CV includes the names, telephone, and emails of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.
- Academic qualification certificates/transcripts.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process
Visit ILRI websites at http://www.ilri.org for more details
Requirements for ILRI Ph.D. Graduate Fellowship
- To be eligible for this scholarship, the fellow must possess a Bachelor’s degree in veterinary medicine, animal science, public health, or other relevant areas and a master’s degree within the relevant field
- Good Quantitative statistical analysis skills.
- An Experience in qualitative or quantitative risk analysis is an advantage.
- A Good skill in a programming/scription language (e.g., R and STATA).
- An Experience with QGIS or ArcGIS.
- Must be ready to travel and spend time in the field.
- The fellow must have the ability to work in an interdisciplinary and international team, and very good interpersonal and communication skills.
- The fellow must have Excellent command of written and spoken English and Vietnamese.
- Must have a proven publication record (peer-reviewed).
- Must have a good working knowledge of MS Office packages.
Summary of ILRI Ph.D. Graduate Fellowship
- Eligible Countries: Developing countries
- Type of program: PhD
- Study in (Country): ILRI in Vietnam
- Application Deadline: May 26, 2022
- Number of Awards: 1
- Worth of ILRI Ph.D. Graduate Fellowship: Competitive stipend will be given to cover living expenses, medical insurance cover, meet research expenses, and tuition fees.
Additionally, successful candidates will benefit from various capacity development opportunities available at ILRI, and they will also be supervised jointly by an ILRI scientist and the university/academic supervisor.
- Duration of Award: Three Years, Five Months (July 2022 – Dec 2025).
Best of Luck!
YOU MAY LIKE: