In this content, I would be explaining in detail to you how to turn off your location services on a Mac and More. Also, this covers how to adjust location services settings so that only some particular apps and websites would be able to make use of the feature. This concludes by talking about why you might wish to enable this location’s services.
How Location Services Work on Mac
Location services are designed to allow apps and websites to gather and make use of details based on where you are located. Your location is approximately determined via the information from your local Wi-Fi network and is collected by location services in a manner that doesn’t personally identify you.
It is always a great idea for you to enable this feature because you would be able to see right from the menu bar when your location is being drawn, just like the way iOS shows the same icon when your iPhone or your iPad’s Location is being used.
Why Use Location Services on Mac
The Mac Location Services come with some very useful functions, and some downsides also. Here we would be looking at why you might want to enable the location services
- To gain more relevant information: if you are making use of Google Maps or Apple Maps on your Mac, you would be able to see your current location without having to enter it manually
- More Personal: Using Twitter or other social media platforms? Being able to have the city or the region where you are listed alongside your post automatically can really help you get more personal information and insight, although it can make you feel open to harassment also.
- Track Your Mac: The Find my Mac feature solely relies on location services so it can track where your Mac is at all times. Also, it is one if the best reasons to have location services enabled, at least for just one app.
- To Receive Location-based Suggestions: the suggestions from Siri and Safar depend solely on on-location services to offer you some relevant suggestions. It can save you time and offer you a much better idea.
Also Read: Most Effective Salon Hair Treatments
How to Turn on Mac’s Location Services
Macs are known to come with location services enable on them, but if you have to switch yours off. I would be stating how to turn it on below. The steps include:
- First, click on the Apple icon found on the menu bar
- Click on system preferences
- Then click “security and Privacy”
- Click “privacy”
- After that, click on the lock in the bottom left corner
- Enter your Mac’s Password and then click unlock
- After that, tick on enable location services
How to Adjust Which Apps Use Location Services
Once the location service has been enabled, you can choose to change which app can make use of the feature and which can’t. it can be useful if you want only one app to make use of location services but not all. Here I would be stating which apps can make use of location services.
- Right on security and privacy, click on “privacy”
- Then click on “location services”
- Click on the lock located at the bottom left corner in other to be able to change the settings.
- Enter the Password of your Mac’s and then click Unlock
- Check out the apps that you would want to make use of the location services. Untick apps that you do not want to have access to your location
- Click on the lock again to save your settings.
Also Read: How Much Does Small Business Insurance Cost
How to Check When Location Services Is in Use
If the location service has been enabled, it is useful for you to be able to see when the feature is being used by an app. Here I would be showing you how to ensure you can see what is going in at all times.
- Right from the location services section of security and privacy, click on the system services and details.
- Tick on show location right on the icon menu bar in other to ensure an icon is always displayed on the menu bar when the location services are being used
- Also, you can choose to tick or even untick other options under the allow system services to determine your location in other to change what part of your Mac can access your location
How do I turn on Location Services in Safari?
To get the location service enabled on your safari Browser, head to the location services settings on your Mac and then check the box right in front of Safari.
Why Can’t My Mac Determine my location?
If an app on your Mac cannot determine your location, head to your Mac’s location services settings and then make sure that the box next to the app is checked. If you are still having issues, try updating macOS and restarting your device.
Why isn’t my Location Updating?
If Google Maps cannot update your location, it might be caused by a poor or unstable cellular data connection, GPS issues, low battery, or making use of outdated app versions.