Do you want to discover how to delete an account in Gmail or delete your Gmail account? In this article, we will be exploring the various ways how to delete account in Gmail, and what to do in each scenario.
The process of deleting an account in Gmail or deleting a Gmail account is a little different when using a desktop and when using a mobile phone, but fret not, because we are prepared a step-by-step procedure for each platform.
There are numerous reasons why you would want to delete your account in Gmail and you might want to start afresh or get too many spam letters or a bad username. Today, you will learn to easily delete an account in Gmail and reach your goal.
How to delete Your Gmail Account on the Web
- How can I permanently remove my Gmail account? If you’ve been wondering about this, you’re in the right spot. Here’s a step-by-step guide to deleting your Gmail account. You can use this guide on both Windows and macOS, as you only need a web browser. If you’re looking to delete your Gmail account on a mobile device, you’ll find guides for that below too.
- Step 1. Click on your profile picture at the top-right and select “Manage your Google Account.”
- Step 2. On the left side menu, choose “Data & privacy.”
- Step 3. In the section labeled “Download or delete your data,” click on “Delete a Google service.”
- Step 4. Select “Delete a service” and type in your Gmail account password to confirm.
- Step 5. Tap the Trash icon next to “Gmail.” You can also click “DOWNLOAD DATA” to save your messages, attachments, and settings.
- Step 6. Provide a non-Gmail email address to link with your other Google services. Click “SEND VERIFICATION EMAIL.”
- Step 7. Log in to the non-Gmail account and open the verification email. Click the link inside.
- Step 8. At the bottom of the email, check the box and select “DELETE GMAIL.”
And that’s how you easily delete your Gmail account.
How To Delete a Gmail Account on an Android Phone
Deleting your account on an Android phone is like the steps mentioned earlier for deleting it on a computer. Just do these things:
- Step 1. Go to Settings on your Android, find Google, and tap on it.
- Step 2. Click on “Manage your Google account.” In the Data & Personalization section, tap “Delete a service or your account.”
- Step 3. Tap “Delete a service,” and then tap the Trash bin next to your account.
- Step 4. Follow the instructions on the screen. The other steps are like what you do on a computer.
How to Delete a Gmail Account on iPhone
Deleting your Gmail from an iPhone is quite similar to doing it on a computer. So, we’ll focus on the main steps. You can use the Gmail app or your iPhone’s web browser. Once you start the deletion process, the final steps are much like the ones on a computer.
- Step 1. Open your app, click the three-line menu, go to Settings, and select the account you want to delete.
- Step 2. Choose “Manage your Google Account.”
- Step s3. Pick “Data & personalization,” then “Delete a service or your account,” and finally “Delete a service.”
- Step 4. Locate Gmail in your list of Google services, tap the trash icon, and follow the instructions to delete your Gmail account. You can also find these steps in our detailed computer guide.
Things to Know Before Deleting Your Gmail Account
Deleting your Gmail account is a big deal. It could feel as significant as ending a marriage for some people. Before you decide to do this irreversible action, make sure you know these five important points:
- Deleting it is permanent. Once you follow the steps, you can’t undo it (though there’s a slight possibility, explained in “Can you recover a deleted Gmail account?” below). All your emails and account information will disappear, and you won’t be able to send or receive emails. Additionally, you and others won’t be able to use the same username.
- Your Google account remains active. Deleting it doesn’t mean your entire Google account gets deleted. You can still use services like Photos, Drive, and others.
- Other accounts may be affected. You’ve likely signed up for various accounts using this Gmail address. If you delete it, you might lose access to those accounts.
- Resetting passwords becomes tricky. If you’ve used this Gmail account to sign up for different services, you won’t be able to reset passwords if you forget them.
- You can save your emails. Before deleting your account, you can easily download your emails using Google Takeout. Just remember that if you use IMAP, only locally stored emails will be saved. Synchronized folders, like those New Year’s resolutions you abandon, will be lost.
Can I Recover a Deleted Gmail Account?
Yes, there is a possibility to recover a deleted Gmail account within a limited timeframe. Google provides a window during which you can attempt to recover your account. After that period, the account deletion becomes irreversible.
What Happens to My Emails and Account Info After Deletion?
Deleting your Gmail account permanently removes all your emails, contacts, and account information. You won’t be able to access or retrieve any of this data once the account is deleted.
Can I Keep Using Other Google Services After Deleting Gmail?
Yes, deleting your account doesn’t delete your entire Google account. You can continue to use other Google services like Google Drive, Photos, and more.
What Happens to Accounts Kinked to My Gmail Address?
If you’ve used your address to sign up for another, you may lose access to those accounts when you delete it. It’s important to update your email address with those accounts before deletion.
Can I Reset Passwords For Services Linked to My Gmail Account After Deletion?
No, if you’ve used your account address to reset passwords for various services, you won’t be able to reset those passwords once the Gmail account is deleted. Make sure to update your email address for account recovery before deletion.
Can I Save My Emails Before Deleting the Account?
Yes, you can use Google Takeout to download your emails before deleting the account. However, remember that only locally stored emails will be saved, and synchronized folders will be lost.
CHECK THESE OUT:
- Gmail Sign Up New Account | Gmail Account Create | Gmail Email Sign in
- Gmail Account Free – Create a Gmail Account Free – Gmail Login Page
- Email Gmail Account – Create Email Gmail Account – New Gmail Account Sign In
- Set Up Gmail Account – Creating a Gmail Account – Logging into a Gmail Account
- Sign Google Gmail – Multiple Apps, One Gmail Account