Skype Video Calling is a popular communication platform that allows users to make video calls over the Internet. Developed by Microsoft, Skype has been a pioneer in the field of video conferencing and has played a significant role in connecting people from around the world.
One of the most popular and reliable tools for video communication is Skype. Whether you’re a seasoned Skype user or just getting started, here’s everything you need to know about Skype Video Calling.
What is Skype?
Skype is a communication platform that offers a variety of services, with video calling being one of its most prominent features. It was first introduced in 2003 and has since grown into a versatile tool for connecting people across the globe.
Furthermore, it was acquired by Microsoft in 2011, integrating its services with Microsoft’s suite of applications.
Getting Started with Skype Video Calling
- Account Creation: To use Skype, you’ll need to create a Skype account. You can sign up using your email address or a Microsoft account. Once your account is set up, you can customize your profile with a profile picture and personal information.
- Installing Skype: Skype is available on various platforms, including Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and even some smart TVs. Download the Skype app or software on your device and log in with your account credentials.
- Contacts: To make video calls, you need to add contacts to your Skype account. You can search for people using their Skype usernames, email addresses, or phone numbers and send them a contact request.
How to Make Video Calls With Skype
- Select a Contact: Open Skype and select the person you want to call from your contacts list. You can also use their Skype username to initiate a call.
- Video Call: Click or tap the video call icon (usually a camera icon) to start a video call. Ensure your device has a camera and microphone for video and audio communication.
- During the Call: During the call, you can mute your microphone, turn off your camera, share your screen, and use text chat to communicate with the person you’re calling. Skype also supports group video calls with multiple participants.
- Ending the Call: When you’re done, click or tap the red phone icon to end the call.
Additional Skype Features
Skype offers several features to enhance your video calling experience:
- Instant Messaging: You can send text messages, emojis, and files through Skype’s instant messaging feature during a call or separately.
- Screen Sharing: Share your screen with the person you’re calling, which is useful for presentations, tech support, or showing photos and videos.
- Call Recording: Skype allows you to record video calls, helping you capture important conversations and memories.
- Skype Credits: You can purchase Skype Credits to make calls to landline or mobile phone numbers worldwide, even if the recipient doesn’t have Skype.
- Skype for Business: Microsoft offers Skype for Business, a business-oriented version of Skype with advanced features for companies and organizations.
Privacy and Security
Skype takes privacy and security seriously. Your conversations are encrypted, which means they’re protected from eavesdropping. However, it’s essential to be cautious about accepting contact requests from unknown users and to adjust your privacy settings according to your preferences.
If you encounter issues with Skype, such as poor video quality or audio problems, check your internet connection, update your software, and ensure your device’s camera and microphone are functioning correctly. Skype’s support website provides detailed troubleshooting guides for common issues.
Skype Sign In
In order to make use of Skype you will need to log in to your already-created Skype or Microsoft account. So let’s say you logged out of your Skype account after making a call and you can’t seem to log in or sign in to your account. I will be guiding you on how you can successfully log in or sign in to your Skype account;
- Open Skype and then click or tap on Skype name, your email, or phone.
- In the spaces provided, enter your Skype name, your email, or your phone number.
- Click on the sign-in tab.
- On the next page, enter your password in the space provided and select the arrow icon.
You have just successfully signed in to your Skype account.
How to Create a Skype Account
Creating an account on Skype is easy. It is also free. The steps of creating a Skype account are easy and straightforward. To create a free Skype account, follow the steps below;
- Go to the Skype Registration Page on your device.
- Enter your mobile phone number and click on next.
- Create a password for your account. Your password must be at least eight characters and it must contain both letters and upper or lower case letters.
- On the next page, enter your first name and last name and click on next.
- An OTP will be sent to your number for verification. Enter the OTP in the space provided and click on next.
That’s it! You have just successfully created a Skype account.
Is Skype Free
Is Skype free? Well, the answer to this question is very straightforward. Skype to Skype calls are completely free. It doesn’t matter your location where you are based. As long as both callers are making use of Skype, the call is free. However, you get to pay or subscribe when you are making use of premium features such as voice mail, calls to landlines, SMS texts, or any call outside of Skype. You will however need a data or Wi-Fi connection to make use of Skype and its features.
Skype Group Video Call Limit
The Skype video calling tool can be used for face-to-face and group video calling purposes. there is a video calling limit of up to 100 hours monthly. And you also get to spend at most 10 hours daily, no more than that. A limit of 4 hours per individual.
Note that when these limits are reached, the video switches off and the call will, therefore, be converted to an audio call. The number of participants for video calls may vary from 3 to a maximum of 50. And this is totally dependent on your device and system requirements.
Skype Video Calling is a versatile and user-friendly tool for staying connected with friends, family, and colleagues, regardless of their location. With its cross-platform compatibility and various features, it has become an indispensable part of modern communication. Whether you’re using it for personal or professional purposes, Skype’s ease of use and reliability make it a valuable resource for video communication.
CHECK THESE OUT: