Pursue your PhD Scholarships In the UK through the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023-24! The scholarship is an admirable initiative by the Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO). This program offers an exceptional opportunity for passionate and talented individuals.
More specifically, these are designed for candidates from the least developed and vulnerable nations within the Commonwealth, enabling them to pursue doctoral studies at renowned institutions in the UK. The 2024 edition of the Commonwealth scholarship program aims to foster diversity by welcoming candidates from various cultural backgrounds, races, and economies.
The program upholds a strict policy of non-discrimination, ensuring that you and other deserving candidates who might not be afforded such an opportunity otherwise can participate on merit. The core purpose is to address the developmental needs of Commonwealth nations through research support, ultimately making a substantial impact on their progress.
Commonwealth PhD Scholarships Themes
The Commonwealth doctoral scholarship program covers six development themes, each crucial for global progress:
- Tailoring Science and Technology for Development
- Strengthening Health Systems and Capacity
- Promoting Global Prosperity
- Strengthening International Peace, Security, and Governance
- Strengthening Resilience and Response to Crises
- Access, Inclusion, and Opportunity
Benefits and Financial Assistance
The Commonwealth PhD Scholarships offers recipients comprehensive financial support, to ensure that candidates can fully focus on their studies and research. These benefits include:
- Monthly stipend of £1,347 or £1,652.
- Approved airfare from home country to the UK and back.
- Tuition fee coverage.
- Warm clothing allowance if required.
- A travel grant for study within or outside the UK.
- Paid midterm visit to the home country.
- Family allowances, including a spouse allowance of £290 monthly (if applicable).
- Child allowance of £143 per month (for the second and third child if accompanying the candidate).
Eligibility Criteria for Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023-24
To be eligible for the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023-24 academic year, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a British-protected person or a native/refugee of eligible Commonwealth countries.
- Applicants must be Permanent residents of eligible Commonwealth countries.
- Should be Available for study in the UK by September 2024.
- Candidates must have a first degree (Minimum of upper second-class honors standard, or a second-class degree) and a Master’s degree.
- Must not have registered for an MPhil or Ph.D. degree at a UK or native university before September/October 2024.
- Provide evidence of financial need.
- Submission of all necessary documents in the required format.
- Disabled candidates receive additional financial support after assessment.
Application Process for Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023-24
Are you eligible to apply for the Commonwealth Scholarships 2023-24? Kindly follow the steps below:
- Apply through one of the nominating bodies: National Nominating Agencies or Non-Governmental Organizations and Charitable Bodies.
- Each nominating body has different eligibility criteria; candidates should check those requirements.
- Visit the SC online application system to apply
- Provide personal information, details about the Ph.D. program, and university choices.
- Submit publications, employment history, and references.
- Write a Development Impact Assessment and describe your leadership role.
- Carefully complete and submit your application.
- Visit the official application link below to kickstart your application: https://cscuk.fcdo.gov.uk/scholarships/commonwealth-phd-scholarships-for-least-developed-countries-and-fragile-states/
Candidates for the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships, are selected based on:
- Academic merit
- Quality of the Study Plan
- Prospective impact on the development of their home country
The required documents for application include:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate degrees
- Up to 10 publications and prizes
- A statement of relevance on employment (up to 300 words)
- A letter of reference
- A passport or national identity card (Scanned)
17 October 2023.
More Related Content
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowships 2024 – APPLY NOW
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowships 2024 in UK | APPLY NOW
- Association of Commonwealth Universities Early Career Conference Grants 2023
- Top 10 Highly Paid Scholarships for International Students 2022/23
- Common Wealth Scholarship in the UK with Visa Sponsorship – Apply Now