The Charles Schwab Corporation has become a big name in the investment and brokerage field. If you are familiar with or are into investments and brokerage, then at some point you must have come across the name, Charles Schwab, or at least heard of it. The Charles Schwab Corporation offers a wide range of investment advice, products & services, including brokerage & retirement accounts, ETFs, online trading, financial services, and more. Charles Schwab has been deemed better for beginner investors as it has excellent research tools that are very useful and can guide investors who are new into the field.
The Charles Schwab Corporation is an American multinational financial service company that is a stockbroker and electronic trading platform. The company was founded by Charles R. Schwab (a broker-dealer that capitalizes on the financial deregulation of the 1970s to pioneer discount sales of equity securities.) in 1971 as Charles Schwab& Co., Inc. The company has its headquarters in San Francisco, California, United States.
Since the time it was founded, the company has grown to have over three hundred and forty branches and it is currently under the leadership of Walter W. Bettinger II as the CEO and President while Charles Schwab is the chairman. Charles Schwab Corporation has over nineteen thousand employees.
Charles Schwab Products And Services
There is a wide range of products and services offered by the Charles Schwab Corporation and they include;
- Investment products.
- Investment management.
- Investment tools & research.
- Specialized solutions.
The Charles Schwab Corporation offers services in account for its clients, customers and users. Some of the services in accounts are;
- All Accounts.
- Brokerage and Trading.
- Retirement and IRAs.
- Global Trading.
- Trust, Estate, and Charitable.
- Education and Custodial.
- Organizational Account.
- Personal Choice Retirement Account.
All these accounts would be discussed extensively.
Charles Schwab Corporation handles several accounts for each of its users. The kinds of accounts one can possibly have with Charles Schwab Corporation are as follows;
- Retirement: Roth IRA, Traditional IRA, and Rollover IRA.
- Automated & Managed Portfolios: Schwab intelligent portfolios, and Schwab intelligent portfolios premium.
- Estate & Charitable Planning: Trust account and Schwab charitable.
- Banking: Schwab bank high yield investor checking account linked to a brokerage account.
Charles Schwab has made it easy to open these accounts with them. You can open any of these accounts on the official web page or via the Charles Schwab mobile application.
Charles Schwab App
The Charles Schwab mobile application or Schwab Mobile, as it is called, can be accessed from your android devices or your iOS devices. The application can be easily downloaded from either the Google Play Store or the Apple Store depending on the one your device supports. To download this application, follow the steps below.
- Open the Google Play Store or the Apple Store on your device.
- Type in “Schwab Mobile” and search.
- Tap on the app and then on “Install”.
The application is ready to use once you have successfully downloaded and installed it into your device. With the mobile application, you can perform the same functions as you would on the web page. With the mobile application, you can;
- Streamline the essentials: with the use of your finger, face ID, or preset passcode to quickly check your portfolio balance, holdings, and statements.
- Place trades and monitor opportunities 24/7: you can see your positions at a glance and also trade stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, create watchlists, check the status of your orders, get breaking news, real-time quotes, and in-depth charts.
- Customize your experience: you can organize your summary view and market settings to prioritize the information you need. You can also set text alerts and push notifications to help you stay on top of your accounts and investments.
- Deposit checks in a snap: with the application, you can deposit checks directly into your Schwab Bank or Schwab Brokerage and IRA accounts by snapping a few photos. You can securely transfer funds between these accounts, and pay bills with a few taps.
These are the added benefits and features you can enjoy from using the Schwab Mobile application.
Opening A Charles Schwab Account
To open an account with Charles Schwab Corporation is quite easy and quick. An account can be opened in about 10 minutes. To open a Charles Schwab account online, follow these steps below.
- Go to Charles Schwab on your browser or open up the application on your mobile device.
- Locate “open an Account” and click on it. This action would load the open an account page.
- Select the kind of account you want to open and click on it. Then click on “Continue”.
- Specify how the account would be (whether individual account or joint, single or two co-) and click on “Continue”.
- Add up your ID (a valid identification, license ID, social security number), and then follow the prompt instructions, filling out your details correctly.
Having done this, you have successfully created your Charles Schwab account online successfully.
To login to your account online is quite easy. You can do this with your PC via the web page or with your mobile device via mobile application. To login in;
- Open the application or go to Charles Schwab on your browser.
- Locate and click on “Log in”.
- Type in your Login ID in the space provided for it and then your password.
- Click on the “Log in” icon.
You would be logged in to your account without hassle if you provided the correct information used in the creation.
Brokerage And Trading
In the Charles Schwab Corporation, the company works to make sure every investor gets great service and a range of investment options. You have the freedom to invest in whatever you choose which could be stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and more as you own all the assets in your brokerage account. All you need do id deposit funds and place investment orders through the brokerage account, and the transactions will be carried out on your behalf.
For brokerage and trading, you are required to open a brokerage account. With this account, you can buy and sell, manage with ease, research and plan, get support 24/7, and the convenience of over 300 branches. You also get online equity trades.
Trading services brokerage account feature can be added to the account at no cost and you get a powerful trading platform, trading education to hone your existing trading skills, or learn a new one and a dedicated trading specialist to share your passion for trading.
Retirement And IRAs
Retirement and IRAs are created to meet your goals. Schwab offers multiple types of Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs). There are benefits to the different IRAs offered by Schwab and they include;
- Traditional IRA: in this account, you may get immediate tax benefits, but you’ll have to pay taxes when you take money out in retirement.
- Roth IRA: with this account, you can get tax benefits later, when you take out your retirement savings tax-free.
- Rollover IRA: you can rollover your plan from a former employer. This is one way to take control of your retirement savings.
Other IRA options that are being offered by Schwab are as follows;
- Inherited IRA.
- Custodial IRA.
The retirement and IRAs account at Schwab helps you get your retirement on track and you are allowed to choose your investments.
The Schwab Global Account™ is designed for U.S. investors seeking to trade online through Schwab in international markets in their local currencies. With this offer from Schwab, you can trade stocks directly online through Schwab in 12 of the top-traded foreign markets in your local currencies if you are in the U.S. With global trading account;
- There is no account or trade minimum.
- You get real-time quotes during foreign market hours.
- You can view multi-currency statement reporting.
- Also, you get to speak with a Global Investing Services specialist.
The Schwab global account, you can trade in international securities in more than 30 countries and you can trade online in 12 of those countries using their local currency.
Trust, Estate, And Charitable
Schwab is also into estate planning and can help you with it (whether it is getting you started, guiding you through the process, or putting your plan into action). An account can be opened in this respect and this account can help you streamline the process of consolidating assets, buying and selling securities, managing cash flow to cover expenses, and pay taxes. With the Trust, Estate and Charitable account, you can open different accounts like;
- Trust Account: here with this account, you can plan and simplify the management and protection of your assets.
- Estate Account: with an account like this, you can manage and distribute an estate’s assets, including consolidating assets and accessing cash to pay taxes or cover expenses.
- Schwab Charitable: this is the name for the charitable account and set up this account helps you structure your giving, manage taxes, and simplify recordkeeping.
The Schwab charitable is consists of the combined programs and services of Schwab Charitable Fund which is an independent nonprofit organization. The Schwab Charitable Fund has entered into service agreements with certain affiliates of The Charles Schwab Corporation.
Education And Custodial
A college savings account can be opened with a Schwab. The company sees it as a smart way to establish an education fund for a family member, a friend, or even yourself. This account can offer tax benefits. There are different types of accounts you can open. You are to pick the one that is right for you. The educational and custodial services allow you to open accounts for
- 529 Savings Plan: this account helps you establish a tax-advantaged education fund with high contribution limits for yourself or someone else.
- Education Savings Account: you can set up a tax-deferred account to pay for educational expenses from kindergarten through college.
- Custodial Account: with the custodial account, you are able to make a financial gift to a minor that may be used for education or other purposes.
It is advisable by the corporation, to carefully consider the plan’s investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses as this would give more information about the plans and how it is being run before investing.
The Schwab organization account is an investing account tailored to the unique needs of businesses, organizations, and family wealth. Schwab sees the organization account as a brokerage account to invest in your legacy.
When you open a Schwab organization account, you can receive benefits like choice, value, advice, and transparency of wealth management at Schwab with the added convenience of managing your personal and organization investments in one place.
However, to qualify for a Schwab organization account, you must meet a relationship minimum of a certain amount that is over two hundred thousand United States Dollars (> $200 000).
Personal Choice Retirement Account
Investing in a retirement plan with the freedom of a brokerage account is possible with a Schwab Personal Choice Retirement Account (PCRA). A Schwab PCRA is a self-directed brokerage account (SDBA) that resides within your employer-sponsored retirement plan. The choices offered by this account lets you invest in a much wider range of investments.
The benefits of a Schwab PCRA are more investment choices, premium research and tools, and flexibility to invest your way. There are no charges or fees for a PCRA but your retirement plan provider may charge an account maintenance fee. However, transaction fees and commissions apply.
This is another service provided by the Schwab Corporation. This service focuses on your retirement and the goals you plan to achieve. The company believes planning for retirement should be simple and they are at your services to help you make it easier.
- How much do you need to retire: there are products, tools, services, and insights that can help you get the retirement you want, figure out how much you can afford to withdraw, and also see where you stand and learn to fill in any gaps.
- Retirement Income Solutions: this gives you an effective approach to retirement income by planning your spending, choosing your investments, tap your income sources, and update your plan.
- Schwab Intelligent Income: This gives you a simple, modern way to pay yourself in retirement from your portfolio.
With this Schwab intelligent income, you can generate a monthly paycheck from your investments for retirement, available with Schwab Intelligent Portfolios
The company has a wide range selection of investment products that provides you with the right choices to build a diversified portfolio and reach your goals and you also get clear, and reliable help to guide your investing decisions. All the investment products available are;
- Mutual Funds: this gives you access to thousands of no-load, no-transaction-fee mutual funds at Schwab.
- ETFs: with this product, you do not have to pay any online commission on over 2000 ETFs across a range of asset classes and fund companies.
- Stocks: for no commission at all, you can get help evaluating stock opportunities, and enjoy fast trading and execution.
- Schwab Stock Slice: Schwab Stock Slices is a simple, low-cost way to invest where you can buy a single slice or even up to 10 slices of S&P 500 companies in one purchase. Slices can also be bought in a custodial account to give the gift of stock ownership to a minor.
- Margin Lending: you can access a convenient and flexible source of funds for trading or personal needs with a Schwab margin loan.
- Options: you can take advantage of sophisticated options tools, education, and specialized support. All these come at a great price.
- Futures: you get to access additional markets at any time of day during the trading week with futures and futures options.
- Bonds, CDs, and Fixed Income: you can get a comprehensive selection and specialized help, all at a low price.
- Money Market Funds: here, you can choose from a wide range of alternatives for all of your cash needs.
- Annuities: this helps you generate reliable retirement income or save for retirement with variable annuities’ unique combination of insurance and investments.
- Cash Solutions: gives you options you can compare and can help you find the cash solution that fits your needs.
- Global Investing: Schwab offers a comprehensive solution for your global investing needs by giving professional support and more.
- Socially Responsible Investing: general investing strategy that considers not only traditional measures of risk and return, but environmental, social, and corporate governance (ESG) factors as well.
- Index Funds and ETFs: here an investor gets expertized researches on individual investments and capture growth potential.
The offers available here are
- Our Investment Management Offerings: here you get to discover the company’s range of investment advice options.
- AUTOMATED INVESTING WITH GUIDANCE: Schwab Intelligent Portfolios, and Schwab Intelligent Portfolios Premium
- CUSTOMIZED INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT: Schwab Private Client, and Schwab Advisor Network.
- ADDITIONAL SOLUTIONS: Schwab Managed Portfolios, Managed Account Select, ThomasPartners Strategies, and Windhaven Strategies.
The services available are:
- Trading at Schwab.
- Trade Pricing.
- Trading Platforms and Tools.
- Trading Specialists.
Investment Tools And Research
Under the research and tools, the services available are;
- Expert Fund Picks.
- Portfolio Overview.
- Portfolio Evaluation.
As earlier mentioned, the company operates banking services for its clients and customers. The services offered here are;
- Bank Offerings.
- Home Loans and Rates.
- Pledged Asset Line.
- Small Business.
- Credit Cards.
- Personal Trust Services.
The pricing on the company is not set or permanent. However, there are pricing, fees, and commissions charged for every investment made for you the customer. The charges are made by the investment providers. The services offered on the platform are related to you by the providers. However, opening most of the offered account with the platform has no charge or fee attached to it.