What are the Causes of Stomach Pain? Stomach pain or abdominal pain is discomfort or other uncomfortable sensations that you feel in your stomach area. Almost everybody at one time or another will get a stomachache.
Most of the causes of abdominal pain aren’t reasons to worry about and your doctor can diagnose and treat the problem easily. Sometimes, it can be a sign of a serious illness that needs urgent medical attention.
Causes of Stomach Pain
Before learning about the causes of stomach aches or pains, let us know the various types of stomach aches.
Types of Stomach Aches
There are different types of abdominal pain. The classification is based on how quickly your pain starts and how long it lasts:
- Acute pain starts over a few hours or days and may come with some other symptoms.
- Chronic stomach pain lasts longer. It goes from weeks to months or more, and it may come and go.
- Progressive ache gets worse over time and oftentimes comes with some other symptoms.
whichever pain you must be experiencing, make sure you pay your doctor a visit as soon as it starts.
Causes of Abdominal Pain
Whether you’ve got a mild ache or a very serious cramp, abdominal pain can have different causes. For example, you might have issues like indigestion, constipation, a stomach virus, or, menstrual cramps if you are a woman.
Other possible causes of abdominal or stomach pain include:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
- Food poisoning
- Allergies to food substances
- Urinary tract infection
- Abdominal muscle strain or pull
Abdominal pain may also occur if you’re lactose intolerant or have ulcers or pelvic inflammatory disease. Other causes of stomach pain include:
- Kidney stones
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm (swelling in the belly’s main artery)
- Bowel blockage or obstruction
- Cancer of the stomach, pancreas, liver, bile duct, gallbladder, or immune cells
- Ovarian cancer or cysts
- Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
- Cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder)
- Low blood flow to your intestines is caused by a blocked blood vessel
- Ectopic pregnancy (when a fertilized eggs grow outside the uterus, for example, in a Fallopian tube)
The causes of stomach pain are very many and diverse, that’s why it is important to visit the doctor rather than using over-the-counter medications.
Stomach Pain on the left side
Often, questions arise from patients about the cause of stomach pain on specific sides of the stomach such as the left or right side. Stomach pains on the left side of the stomach come up as a result of gas.
On a more complex note, it can also be a sign of more serious conditions like diverticulitis, appendicitis, or stomach ulcers. These conditions would require urgent medical attention. To tell the difference and determine whether to seek emergency care, pay attention to the other symptoms you may be experiencing alongside.
To be specific, pain in the lower left abdomen accompanied by symptoms like belching, bloating, or a hard abdomen is typical of indigestion. However, if you’re experiencing upper or lower left side pain accompanied by a high fever, nausea, vomiting, or severe stomach pain, it will be advisable to seek emergency care.
Stomach Pain on the Right Side
Pain on the right side of the abdomen is not necessarily too serious and is usually just a sign of built-up gas in the intestines. But, it can be a concern if the pain is very intense or if it lasts for a long period of time because this can indicate a health problem like appendicitis or gallbladder stones.
Some of the major causes of this symptom include
- Gas build-up
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Gallbladder stones
- Acute hepatitis
- Menstrual pain
- Kidney stones.
These are the major causes of stomach pain. I hope this article was helpful.
- Delete Facebook Searches – Facebook Search Activity Log | How to Delete Facebook Search History
- Dating App for Facebook 2021: Online Dating on Facebook App | Facebook Dating App Available
- How to Permanently Delete a Facebook Account – Deactivate Facebook or Delete it in 2021 | Delete Facebook Account
- Facebook Adult Dating – Facebook Dating App | Facebook Dating Site
- Update! Facebook Dating is Now Available – Facebook Dating Site Update | Dating in Facebook Free