Are you an author and searching for a means to publish your books? With Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing you can self-publish your books on the platform and make money. Lots of like fun, right? This method is much better than wasting your time looking for an agent to get a deal. There is so much to know about kindle direct publishing. Read on to find out more.
Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing – What does it mean?
Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing is an ebook publishing unit that was launch in 2007. This platform is used by authors to upload documents in different formats for delivery. Amazon doesn’t charge an upload fee. Royalties of 35% to 70% of the sale price are given to the authors. But it depends on whether the book is sold via Kindle Direct Publishing or Kindle Direct Publish Select.
Amazon lets the authors keep more the money. The service is free and makes it possible for people to publish and make money via the service.
Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing Platform
The KDP platform is free and very simple to use. An account is required though. If you wish to have millions reading your book, then you need to have an existing audience waiting to read. More relevant the book, the more reads you get. So validating your book is the most important thing to do first. Before publishing, here are some questions to ask yourself;
- Are there any similar books?
- Can I actually compete?
- Are there many buyers?
Very important questions to yourself before taking that step. Here are some steps to use;
- Find your category on the platform.
- Then check your category’s top books for similarity.
- Check the ranks of the best seller in the category.
Wondering how to package your books like a pro or bestseller? Here’s how;
- Make use of a Descriptive and memorable title.
- Use a catchy or attractive cover to get attention.
- The book should be pretty inside not just outside.
Follow these guidelines and you’re one closer to be a Bestseller.
Amazon KDP Account
Getting or setting up an Amazon KDP account is really simple, but first, an Amazon account is required. Getting started on the service is simple, start by signing up, prepare, publish and then promote. Follow the simple guidelines below to set up your KDP account;
- Open your web browser and go to https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/
- On the page, you would be required to sign in to your Amazon account if you already have or create one.
- Let’s take it that you already an account, click on “Sign in”.
- Type in your email or phone number and password. Then click on “Sign in”.
- Click on “Continue” to receive your One Time Password to authenticate your request.
- Input the OTP to continue.
- Agree to the Kindle Direct Publishing Agreement list.
The account would be set up and you can start publishing. If your account is not complete, you can simply update them.
Upload and Preview Book Content
Uploading books to the service is simple and free. Here’s how to go about it;
How to upload to KDP;
- On your account, head to your Bookshelf.
- Click on the “ellipsis …” button below the Kindle Ebook actions next to the book you wish to upload.
- Select “Edit eBook Content”.
- Then in the Manuscript section, click on the “Upload ebook manuscript”.
- Find your manuscript file on the computer and click on “Open”.
- Once the file has been converted, a confirmation would pop up.
How to Preview;
- Open the Bookshelf and click on the ellipsis … next to the book you want to preview.
- Select Edit ebook content.
- Scroll down to the “Kindle ebook preview” section and hit on “Launch Previewer”.
Simple right. With this platform, authors can start earning money immediately.