“Virginia EBT Card Guide”. An EBT card (Electronic Benefits Transfer) is the method the VDSS (Virginia Department of Social Services) distributes the SNAP (supplemental nutrition assistance program) benefits to households that are eligible. The EBT card is just like the normal credit and debit card, it is been used to make a food purchase.
The card is swiped through the POS machine or in some cases, the card number is entered manually and the client also enters their PIN to initiate a transaction. Once a household is eligible for the food stamps benefits they will be receiving benefits each month on a Virginia EBT card.
Virginia EBT Card Guide
EBT Card Guidelines For Virginia:
Below are some of the procedure guides for using the Virginia EBT card;
- The benefits that are in any EBT account in a Virginia household are accessible 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
- The [Virginia EBT card can’t be used for the withdrawal of money from ATM machines.
- EBT cards are mailed to the households that are eligible by XEROX or may be issued over the counter (OTC) from the vault card supplies at the LDSS (Local Department of Social Services).
Types of Card Users
There are two types of cardholders in Virginia they are listed below;
- Primary Cardholder: any established EBT account must have one member of their household set up as the legitimate owner of the EBT account. The primary cardholder will be given the case name to ADAPT. The primary EBT cardholder must also be available for the pickup of the vaulted card at the local agency. Also, the primary cardholder can also be changed with reasons proven to be genuine.
- Authorized Representative; an eligible household may elect another adult to act on its behalf by applying for the SNAP benefits or the purchasing of food items for the household. Since the name on the case is the name of the primary cardholder and must perform all the tasks in line EBT. The household may decide to enlist another member of their household an AR, it could be the spouse. An AR that is given the leverage to purchase food is also granted access to all benefits in the account of the EBT at any time, so make sure the person is someone that is trustworthy. This is because the LDSS may not replace the benefits that are misused by the AR.
- Residents of eligible institutions; residents of certain intuitions may be eligible to take part in the SNAP benefits. In such cases, an authorized representative will be given the EBT card.
Restaurants that Take EBT in Virginia
The restaurant meal program is a federal program that allows eligible elderly, disabled, and homeless food stamps recipients to buy food at restaurants that are authorized. Any state or county are welcome to enroll in the restaurant meals program. This program aims to help expand food access to those who do not a place to cook and store food.
It is also for those who do not have any access to a grocery store. Although, it is unfortunate that the state of Virginia doesn’t participate presently in the restaurant meals program. An update will be given once the state joins the program.
For more information, check https://www.freshebt.com/state/virginia/