The Government of Canada is committed to promoting excellence in research and higher learning by attracting and retaining top-notch doctoral students from around the world. In line with this vision, the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program was established in 2008. This prestigious program aims to strengthen Canada’s capacity to become a global center of excellence in various fields of study.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships program was named after Major-General Georges P. Vanier, who is said to be the first francophone Governor General of Canada. Its primary objective is to attract highly talented doctoral students and foster their leadership skills while promoting exceptional research in various disciplines.
The program is open to students in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering, and health-related fields.
Benefits of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships provide substantial financial support to the recipients. The benefits include the following:
- Each Vanier CGS is valued at $50,000 per year, renewable for up to three years during doctoral studies.
- The scholarship aims to cover the cost of living expenses, research-related travel, and other research-related costs for the duration of the recipient’s doctoral program.
- In addition to the financial support, Vanier Scholars benefit from being part of a vibrant and interdisciplinary research community in Canada.
To be eligible for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- They must be pursuing a doctoral degree (Ph.D.) or a combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D. program at an eligible Canadian institution.
- Applicants must demonstrate academic excellence, as evidenced by their previous academic achievements.
- International students, as well as Canadian citizens and permanent residents, are eligible to apply.
- It is essential to seek nomination only from the institution at which they wish to study, as Candidates must be nominated by Canadian Institutions
Areas of research
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering
- Social sciences and humanities
- Academic Excellence
- Research Potential
- Leadership potential and
- demonstrated ability
Documents Required for Application
- Two letters of reference (having up to three sections)
- One page max of Research contributions
- Leadership statement of two pages maximum for English applications and 2.5 pages for French applications.
- Two leadership letters of reference, pages maximum.
- Two maximum of Research proposals for English applications, and 2.5 pages for French applications.
- Project references (maximum 5 pages)
November 1, 2023.
How to Apply
All interested and qualified Candidates should visit the Government of Canada website on: https://vanier.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html to apply
Applicants are encouraged to have all the above-listed documents ready before applying
Are international students eligible to apply for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships?
Yes, international students, as well as Canadian citizens and permanent residents, are eligible to apply for the Vanier CGS.
Can I apply to more than one Canadian institution for the Vanier CGS?
No, candidates should only seek a nomination from the institution at which they want to study. Multiple applications to different institutions are not allowed.
Can the Vanier CGS be renewed for more than three years?
No, the Vanier CGS is renewable for up to three years during doctoral studies.
What expenses are covered by the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships?
The Vanier CGS aims to cover the cost of living expenses, research-related travel, and other research-related costs for the duration of the recipient’s doctoral program.