When it comes to food-related matters of the United States of America, the USDA cannot be lefts out. The USDA is an acronym for the United States Department of Agriculture. It would fascinate you to know that most of the programs pertaining to food and nutrition are all under the administrative body of the United States Department of Agriculture.
Related: Electronic Benefits Transfer – Electronic Benefit Transfer Usage | EBT Welfare
United States Department of Agriculture
This department is also known plainly as the Agriculture Department. The department is the United States federal executive department that is saddled with the responsibility of developing and executing federal laws regarding farming, food, rural economic development, nutrition, forestry, and other related issues based on sound public policy, efficient management, and the best available science.
This department was formed on the 15th of May, 1862 but has a cabinet status from the 15th of February, 1889. This department’s preceding agency is the Agricultural Division. The Agriculture Department is a jurisdiction of the United States federal government with its headquarters in Jamie L. Whitten Building 1301 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C.
Over a hundred and five thousand, seven hundred and seventy-eight employees work in this United States Department of Agriculture. Therefore, it can be said that the department has been able to create jobs for the citizens of the country through the several agencies that the department has set up.
The department has been able to implement its vision by creating and following through with a strategic plan. The strategic plan depends on the following key activities. These key activities are;
- Expanding markets for agricultural
- Supporting international economic development
- Further developing alternative markets for agricultural products and activities
- Providing financing needed to help expand job opportunities
- Improve housing, utilities, and infrastructure in rural America
- Enhancing food safety by taking steps to reduce the prevalence of foodborne hazards from farm to table
- Improving nutrition and health by providing food assistance and nutrition education and promotion and
- Managing and protecting America’s public and private lands working cooperatively with other levels of government and the private sector.
These are the key activities of the Agriculture Department of the United States of America.
Aims of The United States Department of Agriculture
The aims of the department are all listed below;
- Meet the needs of farmers and ranchers
- Promotes agricultural trade and production
- Works to assure food safety
- Protects natural resources
- Fosters rural communities
- Works to eradicate hunger in the United States and even internationally.
These aims are being followed up with works, research, and creating agencies to help distribute the work and for efficiency.
Agencies Under USDA
There are several agencies all over the country under the administration of the United States Department of Agriculture. Some of these agencies are listed below.
- Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS)
- Agricultural Research Service (ARS)
- Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
- Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion (CNPP)
- Economic Research Service (ERS)
- Farm Service Agency (FSA)
- Food and Nutrition Service (FNS)
- Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS)
- Forest Service (FS)
- National Agricultural Library (NAL)
- National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS)
- The National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA)
- Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)
- Risk Management Agency (RMA)
- Rural Development (RD)
- Rural Utilities Service (RUS)
- The Rural Housing Service (RHS)
- Rural Business-Cooperative Service (RBS)
These different agencies have the different roles they play under this department: some are into research; others are into marketing while some others into the actual farming and productions. Most of these agencies have programs directly under them