If you want to discover the Symptoms of breast cancer, you are in the right place. This ailment is one of the most common types of cancer and you may be surprised to find out that it also occurs in men although it is rare. If you are curious about this topic, you should read this article to the end.
The Symptoms of Breast Cancer
If you do not have an idea of what breast cancer is, it is important you do so. Therefore, before proceeding to the signs of this ailment, you would be educated more on what it is and the causes also. So, what is breast cancer? This is one of the types of cancer that occurs in the breasts. This is an unusual growth in the breast and it can happen to one breast or both of them. This growth may spread to other parts of the breasts causing damage.
Types of Breast Cancer
You should know that there are different types of breast cancer and this applies to both males and females. The terms below may sound strange to you but this article is going to explain them in terms:
- This type of breast cancer originates from the tissues lining the breasts. The majority of these disease case falls under this type. Under the carcinoma, there are other subdivisions of cancer. They include; The Ductal carcinoma which affects the milk ducts and the Lobular carcinoma which lines the globules (the milk-producing glands).
- The Adenocarcinoma. This cancer type originates from within the breast cells and may spread with time.
The general classification of breast cancer is the invasive and the non-invasive type and this is dependent on its ability to spread to other tissues where they cause damage.
What are the Symptoms of Breast Cancer in Females? – What are the Symptoms of Breast Cancer in Women?
It is very important to watch out for the signs of breast cancer in women. Apart from the breast lump, some other signs include:
- Pain in some regions of the breasts.
- Discharge from the nipples. This could be clear fluids or even blood.
- Red patches on the skin of the breasts.
- Pain in the nipple area and sometimes folding in of the nipples.
- Irritating patches on the skin of the breasts.
- Thickening of some parts of the breasts.
- Swelling of the breasts.
- Painful lumps in the breast. Some people may notice underarm lumps.
- Some people may experience a change in the size and shape of their breasts.
These are the general warning signs of breast cancer. Although some people may not notice any of these symptoms, they may be diagnosed with the ailment eventually. This should let you know that the symptoms differ for different women. Also, other factors can cause breast lumps asides from cancer.
What are the Symptoms of Breast Cancer in Males?
Can men get breast cancer? You may be wondering now. The answer is yes. Although it is very rare, there are cases of male breast cancer. This is caused by some risk factors which would be discussed later in this article. The male breast cancer symptoms include:
- Lumps or unusual swellings in one or both breasts. Most times, these breast lumps are painless.
- Discharge from the nipples.
- Redness and swelling of the skin on and around the breasts.
- Pulling in of the nipples and sometimes pains in the nipple area.
- The hardened area under the skin of the breasts.
These are the general signs of this ailment in men. They are similar to that of females. If you notice any of these signs, you should contact your doctor right away.
Causes of Breast Cancer
What causes this ailment? You may be wondering. Several factors could lead to breast cancer in males and females. They include:
- Yes, there are genetic causes of breast cancer. There is a high probability of you developing this ailment if there is a record of it in your family. This is because genes can be passed from parents to children. If your case is so, you have nothing to worry about, you just have to take certain precautions to prevent it.
- Obesity is also a cause of this ailment. Being overweight increases your chances of developing this disease.
- Recently, tobacco has been linked with different types of cancer. If you are smoking, you are doing yourself no good as you could develop breast cancer in the long run.
- Alcohol also increases the chance of getting this disease.
- This ailment is also associated with age and sex. Women are more prone to this disease than men. Also, there is a high occurrence of this disease from the age of 50.
- Lastly, there is a high risk of you developing cancer if you have undergone radiation and hormone therapy in the past.
With the list above, you should be able to know the causes of this ailment.
How to Prevent Breast Cancer
The list below would show you what would help in reducing the risk of breast cancer.
- Exercise regularly as this would help you maintain a healthy weight. This is because a healthy weight reduces the risk of breast cancer.
- For women, breastfeeding reduces the chances of developing this disease. Breastfeeding is a form of protection from this disease.
- Limit your intake of alcohol as higher consumption of it could increase the risk of this disease.
- Eat healthy foods.
- If you have a history of this disease in your family, you should visit your doctor for regular checkups.
Above are the tips to prevent breast cancer. Some of the best diet tips to prevent cancer includes green tea, soy, vegetables, fruits, soups, salad, etc. With this, your chances of getting this disease would be greatly reduced.