SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) formerly yet still popularly known as the food stamp program, is a program sponsored by the federal government.
The program was created to assist low and no-income individuals to be able to buy food needed for a balanced meal and a healthy life. The SNAP benefits have elevated a lot of Americans from hunger.
The federal government aims the program to eradicate hunger and poverty from the United States of America. The amount of benefit received by a household depends largely on the size of the household, income (earned and unearned), and their expenses.
The act was to strengthen the economy of agriculture and to also provide enhanced levels of nutrition among low-income individuals or households.
The name food stamp was changed to Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) in the year 2008 on the month of October.
SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
SNAP is focused on feeding the nation of America, in other to eliminate hunger. Once you are eligible for the SNAP benefits you will be issued an EBT card with which you can use to access your benefits whenever you want to make use of it.
The EBT card is similar to the normal everyday debit card will use. The EBT card is loaded once every month with your benefits, with the card you can buy food and food-related items at grocery stores, some selected farmers market, and retail stores that accept the EBT card.
Once you are done buying you can pay with the RBT card at the POS, enter your secret pin and it will be deducted from your benefits.
The card will be continually loaded once every month, pending the certification period (the time the benefit is expected to last), which is usually 6 months for most households but can be extended depending on the situation. Moreover, you can always reapply when your benefits certification period is near.
What You Can Use Your SNAP to Buy
- There are rules you must adhere to in the using of your SNAP benefits to avoid getting into problems with the local authorities or worst be banned from using the SNAP benefits. Below are lists of things you can buy;
- Loaves f bread
- Dairy products
- Meat, fish, and poultry
- Fruits and vegetables
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Nutritional energy drinks
- Bakery items
- Seeds and plants that produce food for the household to eat and other food and food-related items.
Things You Cannot Buy With Your SNAP Benefits
Now let’s take a look at some of the items you are not allowed to use your benefit to buy. They are listed below;
- Vitamins, medicine, and supplements
- Pet food
- Live animals (except for shellfish, animals slaughtered for pickup from the store, and fish removed from the water
- Prepared food for immediate consumption
- Household supplies (paper products, cleaning supplies, cosmetics, etc.) and non-food related items.
How to Apply For SNAP Benefits
Below are the different ways you can apply for the SNAP benefits;
- You can apply online
- You can apply in person, this is done by visiting any of the local offices near
- You can place a call to know if you can apply through a phone
- You can also print out the application form, fill it, and submit by mailing or fax it
For more information on how to apply, you can visit the following link; https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-snap-benefits-food-stamps. The SNAP benefits program is a great start to help eliminate hunger and poverty in the lives of many Americans. To know more about the program kindly visit this link; https://www.ny.gov/services/apply-snap