Shelter Afrique hosts its 42nd Annual General Meeting on the 8th to 12th of May 2023. This write-up will contain all you need to know about this general meeting and how to attend it.
Shelter Afrique 42nd Annual General Meeting
Shelter Afrique is a body with the aim of financing affordable housing in Africa.
One cannot understand housing market dynamics in Africa without a thorough understanding of the housing sector’s political economy. It is critical to understand the interactions between the key stakeholders who have shaped the housing production and delivery value chain, as well as what is at stake at each critical stage along the way.
In doing so, it is critical to investigate the incentive mechanisms confronting the key stakeholders in the housing value chain, as well as the induced outcomes in terms of providing decent and affordable housing for all.
One of the Declarations, No. 16, from the 9th Edition of the Africa Cities Summit, which was recently held in Kisumu City, Kenya, with the theme “The Role of Intermediary Cities in the Implementation of the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda and the African Union’s Agenda 2063,” was a call on the entire African Community to commit itself to the empowerment of women and youth by promoting economic support programs dedicated to women and youth.
The follow-up and implementation of this declaration are the responsibility of participating African countries, and they require efforts from the policy level to achieve the goal.
What Will Be Discussed in the Symposium
The following are the major aspects to be discussed at this year’s symposium;
- How can new technologies be improved and scaled to benefit the built environment industry?
- How can the emerging challenges of conflict-induced displacement and rapid urbanization be effectively managed?
- What are the political, social and economic strategies required to enhance the housing development targets within the context of the 2030 SDGs and the Agenda 2063 of the African Union Commission?
- How can data management be improved to help the industry achieve its housing and built environment goals?
- What steps should be taken to manage inflationary pressures and logistical challenges in the industry in the aftermath of the COVID pandemic and the effects of the Russia-Ukraine war?
Theme of This Year’s Annual General Meeting
The theme of the Shelter Afrique 42nd annual general meeting and symposium is “Political Economy in the Built Environment”.
Date and Venue for Shelter Afrique 42nd Annual General Meeting
This annual symposium will take place from the 8th to the 12th of May 2023 in Abuja, Nigeria.
How to Participate in the Shelter Afrique Annual General Meeting
To participate in this symposium, follow the steps below;
- Go to the official website of the symposium; agm.shelterafrique.org/introduction-background/
- When you get to the home page of the website, click “participate”
- This action will lead you to a new page with a registration form. Fill up the form with the information requested such as your name, country, city, profession, organization, etc. After that, click “submit”.
Who are the Key Speakers of the Shelter Afrique Symposium
The speakers of this year’s symposium are;
- President of the African Development Bank – The Built Environment and the 2030 SDGs and Agenda 2063: The Role of the Multi-Sectoral Stakeholders in the Industry.
- Professor of Urban Planning at the University of Lagos, Nigeria, Convener of the Pro-Poor Development Research Cluster and Co-Director at the Centre for Housing and Sustainable Development – Realizing the Potentials of Urbanization in Nigeria amidst the Realities of Socio-Economic Adversaries in Nigeria.
- MD at Family Homes Fund, Nigeria – A Diagnostic Review of the Nigerian Housing and Built Environment Industry: Successes Achieved, Challenges and the Way Forward.
- CEO at Social Housing and Mortgage Finance Fund (SHMFF), Egypt – Delivering on the Potentials of the Housing and Built Environment Industry: Lessons Learnt from Successful Case Studies in Africa.
- MD at Urban Shelter Nigeria – Practical Implementation of the Housing and Built Environment Objectives: Opportunities and Challenges from a Developer’s Perspective.
- Shelter Afrique Head of Policy, Research and Partnerships – Moderator
Shelter Afrique is the only pan-African finance institution that supports the development of housing and urban development in Africa.
By meeting the needs of the continent’s rapidly growing urban population, their work as the Company for Housing and Habitat in Africa has a direct and positive impact on the lives of many.
CHECK THIS OUT: