The OpenIDEO Climate Resiliency Challenge 2023 is inviting suitably qualified organizations and teams around the world for an opportunity to develop solutions that will empower frontline communities to be ready and resilient against disasters caused by climate change. Climate change has become a pressing global issue, and its effects are increasingly evident in the form of climate-related disasters.
To address this challenge, OpenIDEO has launched the Climate Resiliency Challenge. This initiative invites organizations and teams from around the world to develop innovative solutions that empower frontline communities to be resilient in the face of climate-induced disasters, such as wildfires, floods, and extreme weather events.
OpenIDEO Climate Resiliency Challenge
Climate change is causing significant disruptions to our lives, environments, and ecosystems. The frequency and severity of wildfires, floods, and extreme weather events have reached unprecedented levels. These climate-related disasters not only result in the loss of life but also have a profound impact on the quality of life, recovery times, and property damage.
In the United States alone, climate-related disasters cause a staggering $120 billion in damages annually. This figure has increased fivefold over the past 50 years, and projections estimate that it will reach $2 trillion by the end of the century.
Climate Resiliency Challenge Themes
One of the key themes of the Climate Resiliency Challenge is prevention. The goal is to develop solutions that eliminate the risk of climate-related disasters or reduce their likelihood and severity. Innovative approaches, such as advanced early warning systems, sustainable land management practices, and nature-based solutions, can play a crucial role in preventing and mitigating the impacts of climate change.
Another important theme of the challenge is preparedness. Taking proactive measures to prepare communities and individuals for climate-related disasters is essential. This includes raising awareness about the risks, enhancing community resilience, and developing disaster response plans.
Community-based preparedness initiatives that engage local stakeholders and leverage existing resources can make a significant difference in reducing vulnerability and ensuring a swift response when disasters strike.
The third theme of the Climate Resiliency Challenge is recovery. In the aftermath of climate-related disasters, immediate response efforts are crucial for saving lives and providing emergency relief. However, long-term strategies for rebuilding and rehabilitation are equally important. This includes measures such as infrastructure improvements, ecosystem restoration, and social support systems.
OpenIDEO is an innovative platform developed by IDEO, a global design company that is dedicated to creating a positive impact. With a rich history of designing impactful products and services, IDEO has consistently championed the practice of human-centered design.
IDEO’s journey began with a significant milestone when they designed the first manufacturable mouse for Apple, revolutionizing the way people interacted with computers. This breakthrough catapulted IDEO into the spotlight and laid the foundation for their future endeavors. Since then, IDEO has remained a trailblazer in the design industry, continuously pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Benefits of participating in OpenIDEO Climate Resiliency Challenge
The challenge combines varieties of awards up to $1 million in total.
- Award for Emerging Innovator: Early-stage concepts: $50K USD
- Mid-stage Innovator Award: Growth-stage concepts: $100K USD
- Advanced Solutions Award: Scaling-stage concepts: $200K USD
- Submitted solutions will receive Media Coverage and Visibility:
- Exposure to Networks:
- Connections to Like-minded Partners:
How to Apply for Climate Resiliency Challenge 2023
The OpenIDEO 2023 Climate Resiliency Challenge provides a platform for organizations and teams to contribute their innovative solutions. Whether you’re a nonprofit organization, a startup, or a research institution, you can participate in the challenge and make a positive impact.
The challenge is open to both existing projects and new ideas that align with the three themes of prevention, preparedness, and recovery.
- To apply, Interested and qualified Candidates should go to OpenIDEO at: challenges.openideo.com/loginhttps://challenges.openideo.com
- In other to submit a solution, applicants must complete the questions in the form
- Once the questions are answered and submitted, applicants can proceed to click the Submit Solution icon
- By July 18, 2023, all the successfully shortlisted Finalists will be announced. They will also receive feedback from judges towards improving their submissions.
- For more details, kindly visit the OpenIDEO website at: challenges.openideo.com/challenge/climate-resiliency-challenge
July 10, 2023.
CHECK THESE OUT:
- Facebook Climate Science Information Centre: Facebook Launches Climate Science Info Centers In Nigeria and South Africa
- Small Business Administration Disaster Loans – Who is eligible for an SBA Disaster Loan
- What Are Good Ways to Save on Home Insurance?
- Apple Warns that Side Loading Apps Could Lead to iPhone Security Disaster
- Green Web Foundation Fellowship Program 2023 – Apply Now!