Do you want to know about the Ohio EBT Card Guide? An EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) card is a plastic card that looks and acts like our normal debit card. The EBT card is used to distribute public assistance benefits to low-income earners in Ohio. The Ohio EBT card is also called the Ohio Direction card and is been used for the distribution of food stamp benefits or SNAP benefits and cash assistance. Once you are eligible and approved for the food stamps benefits, you will be receiving your benefits each month on your Ohio EBT Card. Before you can be given the Ohio EBT card there are some criteria you need to meet, after which you can apply. For more information about the EBT card, read down as all the information you need is in this article to you.
Ohio EBT Card Guide
The Ohio SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), otherwise known as food stamp benefits. is designed mainly to raise the nutritional levels, and empower people to buy food, and also safeguard the health and well being of individuals in Ohio households that earn a low income. A household may consist of individual or individuals who live together and purchase, prepare, and eat together.
For you to be eligible for the EBT card that will enable you to access the food stamps benefit you need to meet one of the following requirements;
- You have to meet the minimum of the current valued resources, savings, and checking combined
- You are also eligible if you are 60 and above a household member of yours is of that age
- You are also eligible if you have a child, spouse, parent or even yourself is disabled.
You can get more information on eligibility status if you check this link; https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/1588#Eligibility_Checker.
Things you can buy with your EBT card
Your EBT card works the way your debit card works. It is used to buy food at grocery stores, convenience stores, and some selected farmers’ markets. Below is the list of items you can get with your EBT card;
- Meat, fish, poultry
- Dairy products
- Loaves of bread
- Deli meats and steak
- Snack crackers
- Soft drinks
- Ice cream
- Energy drinks which must be nutritional
- Edible pumpkins
- Live seafood (lobster, fish, and shellfish)
- Birthday cakes which should not exceed 50%
- Bakery items
- Plant and seeds that can produce food for the household.
Above are some of the things you can purchase with your EBT card.
Things You Cannot Buy With Your EBT Card
Below are some listed items you are not permitted to buy with your EBT card;
- Pet foods
- Paper products
- Tobacco products
- Alcoholic beverages
- Grooming items
- Hot prepared food
- Medicines and vitamins
- Household supplies
- Nonfood items
Above are some of the things you should avoid using your EBT card to buy so as to prevent having issues with the authorities.
How to Apply For EBT Card in Ohio
There are three ways to apply for the EBT card in Ohio. Once you apply for your food stamp benefits you will be issued an EBT card which you will use to access the benefits. The different processes are listed below;
- The easiest way to apply for the food stamp benefit in Ohio is online. You can apply online via this link; https://benefits.ohio.gov/.
- Or you could apply in person at any local Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services office. To get more information about this process clicks on this link; http://jfs.ohio.gov/county/county_directory.pdf.
- You could also apply by calling the Ohio JFS Information line. To get more information on this check this site; https://jfs.ohio.gov/ofam/index.stm.
In all, if you have additional questions about the Ohio EBT card check the link below; https://foodstampsebt.com/ohio-ebt-card/.