Obtaining a Permanent Residency Visa in Canada Through Express Entry

If you want to become a permanent resident of Canada using the Express Entry program, this guide is just what you need. The Express Entry program has become a top choice for many people who want to immigrate and live permanently in Canada.

Obtaining a Permanent Residency Visa in Canada Through Express Entry

It’s a system that helps Canada choose skilled workers and professionals from around the world to come and live in the country.

If you are in any of the express Entry categories (you are a skilled worker or professional), here are the requirements for Express Entry and what you need to stand a chance of getting permanent residency through this program.

Understanding the Express Entry Program

The Express Entry program was introduced by the Canadian government to streamline the immigration process for skilled workers. Since the introduction of the program, it has made the migration of skilled workers quicker and more efficient.

Under the Express Entry program, you can apply for three major immigration streams:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

Each of these streams has specific requirements and you have to select the stream that suits you most and meet its requirements if you want to stand a chance for permanent residency.

1st Stream: Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

If you are a skilled worker with foreign work experience and are looking to immigrate to Canada through FSWP, here are the key requirements and processing times:


  • Eligible occupation: Your occupation must be listed in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system. Your job must fall under NOC Skill Type 0 (managerial positions), Skill Level A (professional positions), or Skill Level B (technical positions).
  • Language proficiency: You must prove your proficiency in English or French, you can do this by taking an approved language test (IELTS for English, TEF for French).
  • Education: You should have at least one year of post-secondary education, and your educational credentials must be recognized by an approved organization.
  • Work experience: Work experience is important; you need to have a minimum of one year of full-time work experience (or equivalent part-time) in your skilled occupation within the last ten years.
  • Express Entry profile: If you meet all of the above requirements, you can create an Express Entry profile and get a minimum Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score, this will make you eligible for the draw.

Processing Times

The processing time for FSWP applications varies every year and it is always affected by the number of applications received. However, it takes anywhere between six to eight months.

2nd Stream: Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)

If you are a skilled tradesperson seeking to immigrate to Canada, this particular stream is for you, and below is what you need.


  • Eligible occupation: Your occupation must fall under the designated skilled trades list and meet the specific requirements for that trade.
  • Language proficiency: This particular requirement is similar to FSWP; you must prove your proficiency in English or French through language. Language is very important in Canada.
  • Work experience: You must have at least two years of full-time work experience in the skilled trade within the last five years.
  • Job offer or Certificate of qualification: You also need a valid job offer from a Canadian employer or a certificate of qualification, the certificate must be issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.
  • Express Entry profile: This is the same in every stream, you need to create an Express Entry profile and aim for a competitive CRS score.

Processing times

The processing times for FSTP applications also range from six to eight months.

3rd Stream: Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

If you have Canadian work experience (you have worked in Canada before), the Canadian Experience Class will be your route to permanent residency.


  • Canadian Work Experience: You must have at least one year of full-time (or equivalent part-time) skilled work experience in Canada within the last three years before applying.
  • Language proficiency: You also need to prove your language proficiency in either English or French.
  • Express Entry Profile: Of course, you have to create your Express Entry profile and aim for a competitive CRS score.

Processing times

CEC applications have faster processing times compared to FSWP and FSTP, it has an average processing time of four to six months.

Did you notice that language proficiency is a consistent requirement in the three streams? Every

Canadian immigration program needs you to prove that you can understand either English or French, if you are from an English-speaking nation and you have proven that you are proficient in English, you may not need to take the English proficiency test.


Express Entry is a popular immigration pathway in Canada and you can get permanent residency through the program.

You have three different streams, you have the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), and the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

Each of the streams is designed to accommodate different skill sets and profession, examine the different streams and select the stream that suit you the most.

More Related Content


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here