The Georgia Department Of Public Health is the lead state government agency that is saddled with the responsibility of improving the health of the counties in the state of Georgia. This agency is in charge of preventing disease, injury, and disability; promoting health and well-being; and also preparing for and responding to disasters from a health perspective. The department has been in consolidation with other departments for about thirty years before it was restored to its own state agency in 2011 by the General Assembly. In this article, we would talk about the functions, mission, and other important aspects of the Georgia DPH. Keep on reading.
Georgia Department Of Public Health
The Department of Public Health (DPH) at the state level functions through numerous divisions, sections, programs, and offices. Locally, the DPH funds and collaborates with Georgia’s 159 county health departments and 18 public health districts. They also are in charge of fighting and proffering solutions to combat, contain, and protect the citizens in Georgia against COVID-19.
The general aim and mission of the Georgia Department Of Public Health, which has always remained constant, is to protect the lives of all Georgians. In this light, the mission statement of the department is: to prevent disease, injury, and disability; promote health and well-being; and prepare for and respond to disasters.
The core values that guide the workforce of the Georgia Department Of Public Health in carrying out their public health work are the following;
- People: the department values the employees as professional colleagues, treat their customers, clients, partners, and those we serve with respect by listening, understanding, and responding to needs.
- Excellence: the department is committed, accountable, and transparent for optimal efficient and responsive performance.
- Partnership: the department uses both the internal and external teamwork to solve problems, make decisions, and achieve common goals.
- Innovations: Georgia DPH embraces change and accepts the reasonable risk. They also consider new approaches and progressive solutions to problems.
- Science: the department also applies the best available research, data, and analysis leading to improved outcomes.
The Georgia Department Of Public Health uses strategic plans to run the department and proffer solutions to problems regarding the department and its services. In this bid, the department in the state applied for national accreditation through the Public Health Accreditation aboard (PHAB).
The Public Health Accreditation Board (PHAB) is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving and protecting the health of the public by advancing and ultimately transforming the quality and performance of state, local, tribal and territorial public health departments.
Georgia Public Health Laboratory
The Georgia Public Health Laboratory is a laboratory under the Georgia Department Of Public Health Laboratory program. This program in the department handles all the testing (both clinical and non-clinical) laboratory testing.
The mission of the Georgia Department Of Public Health Laboratory Program is to improve the health status of Georgians by providing accurate, timely, and confidential clinical and non-clinical laboratory testing in support of the Department of Public Health programs, activities, and initiatives as well as performing tests for Emergency Preparedness.
The laboratory accomplishes this support role for the continual evolving public health programs by providing screening, diagnostic and reference laboratory services to citizens of the state through county health departments, public health clinics, physicians, other clinical laboratories, hospitals, and state agencies.
The major focus areas of the Georgia Public Health Laboratory are arranged in five broad areas of testing and support, which include;
- Facilities support.
- Operations: accessioning, budget, data entry, reports, and records, personnel, and purchasing.
- Chemistry: newborn screening unit, lead screening, and fluoride testing.
- Emergency Preparedness: biological/ chemical threat and molecular biology units.
- Microbiology: bacteriology, microbial immunology, mycobacteriology, parasitology, and virology units.
Careers In Georgia Department Of Public Health
The Georgia Department Of Public Health has open windows for career growth. If you are looking for a platform where you can take on the next step of your career goals, you might as well consider doing that in the DPH Georgia. Your public health career has very good grounds to grow and for you to build it up.
For those applying for jobs at the Georgia Department of Public Health for the very first time would be required to create an account with the agency and select a username and password. After establishing your account, you can then build an application by clicking
Under the career guide for the Georgia Department Of Public Health, there are several links that better explains the Georgia Department Of Public Health career is, how to go about processing and what it truly entails. These include;
- Application Login: registration of the online account is free for fresh users, however, if you have already created your GovernmentJobs.com personal account, you can log on with that account.
- Open Jobs: here you can view open jobs in the Georgia Department Of Public Health and see a listing of all the jobs available and can also directly apply for any by clicking the “Apply” link. Online.
- Promotional Jobs: these promotional opportunities are only open to the regular employees of the Georgia Department Of Public Health.
- Job Descriptions: the available jobs come with their descriptions, classification specifications. Some of the details on the job descriptions are the division/ section where the position is available, the county, the full-time salaries, and the category of the job.
- Job Interest Cards: the job interest cards give you access to updates on jobs available. All you need do is complete a job interest card for each job category you are interested in and you would begin to receive email notifications on them.
Getting a job at the Georgia Department Of Public Health requires application from your end. The application has now been made easy. One can apply for a choice position in this department online. All you need do is click on the job title you are interested in and then click on the “Apply” link.
Some of the job opportunities available are grouped into different categories which include;
- Accounting and Finance.
- Administrative Assistant.
- Allied Health.
- Athletics & Fitness.
- Building & Safety.
- Building Maintenance.
- Child Care.
- Child Support.
- Clerical & Data Entry.
- Community and Social Services.
- Community Services.
- Construction Maintenance.
- Construction Trades.
- Customer Service.
- Database Administration.
- Diversity Management/EEO.
- Economic Development.
- Education, Training & Library.
- Emergency Management.
- Environmental Services.
- Executive Management.
- Facility Management.
- Financial Aid & Services.
- Fire & EMS.
- Fleet Services.
- Food Services.
- Geographic Information Systems.
- Grants Administration.
- Graphic Arts.
- Health Care Support.
- Health Education.
- Health Sciences.
- Health Services.
- Hearing Examiner.
- Higher Education.
- Human Resources.
- Human Services.
- IT and Computers.
- Land Use.
- Law Enforcement.
- Medical Billing & Coding.
- Medical Examiner.
- Mental Health.
- Natural Resources.
- Office and Administrative Support.
- Organizational Development.
- Payroll/Benefits Administration.
- Planning and Development.
- Professional Education.
- Program Management.
- Project Management.
- Public Health.
- Public Records.
- Public Relations.
- Public Safety.
- Records Management.
- Rehabilitation Services.
- Risk Management.
- Social Sciences.
- Social Services.
- Sports & Physical Education.
- Vehicle Maintenance.
- Veteran Services.
- Waste Management.
- Web Design.
These are the categories available in the Georgia Department Of Public Health. If your line of career falls within any of these categories, you can apply on there are see what opportunities you have in stepping up your career game.
Recommended: Twitter Homepage – How to Access Twitter Homepage