Don’t you wish you could just ‘clear’ your Facebook history? Facebook’s search function tracks what you’ve looked for recently, which is great for helping you get back to pages you visit frequently. But ultimately, what and who you search for on Facebook is a private matter.
So if you’re about to hand your phone or computer off to your friend, and you don’t want to risk them seeing who you’ve been looking up, you might want to clear your Facebook search history first. Luckily, you can do this discreetly, in a couple of clicks or taps from your Mac, PC, iPhone, or Android device. Just read down.
Facebook Clear History
Facebook’s Clear History tool is now available in all countries. With the help of this tool, you can be able to see the sites and apps you’ve interacted with; you’re going to be able to clear all this information from your account, and you’ll even be able to turn it off.
Thanks to the Cambridge Analytical scandal and countless other privacy scandals, many people are more aware of how much data Facebook tracks and keeps on them, as well as how their data can be easily monetized (and weaponries against them) by third parties.
As a result, Facebook has been facing a lot of pressure, and it’s pledged to be more transparent about what it’s doing with all its data.
What is Facebook’s Clear History Tool About?
In your web browser, whether it’s Chrome or Safari, you have a simple way to clear your cookies and browsing history. Inspired by this capability, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said on stage while at the mostly-annual F8 developer conference in 2018 that Facebook is working on its own version so that you can control and clear your browsing history.
That includes what you’ve clicked on, the websites you’ve visited, and so on. Originally, Facebook said it would call this Clear History. However, it’s now calling it “the off-Facebook activity setting”. You can get more details about the clear history tool here.
How to Clear Facebook Search History on a Mobile Device
Below are the steps on how to clear Facebook search on your mobile device;
- Open the Facebook app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Tap the search icon at the top right of the screen.
- Next to where it says recent searches, tap “Edit.”
- At the top of your Activity Log, tap “Clear Searches” to instantly clear your history. You can also tap the X icon next to each search item to clear that specific search, and leave the rest.
How to Clear Facebook Search History on a Computer
You can also clear your Facebook search from a computer, the steps are below;
- Go to Facebook using any internet browser on your Mac or PC and open your profile page. On your profile page, in the bottom right corner of your cover photo, click “Activity Log.”
- Click “More” under “Comments” on the left sidebar.
- From the extended menu, click “Search History.”
- At the top right of the menu, click “Clear Searches.” You can also click the cancel icon next to each search item to delete that item specifically.
- Click “Clear Searches” again to confirm that you’d like to clear them all.
Above are the steps to clear your Facebook history. You can get more details on how to clear your Facebook history here.