CDPH is simply the acronym for the California Department of Public Health. The California Department of Public Health is the state department that is in charge and responsible for every public health-related matters in the state of California in the United States of America. it is the subdivision of the California Health and Human Services Agency. This public health department enforces some of the laws in the California Health and Safety Codes, majorly the licensing of some types of health care facilities. Getting interesting already? Keep on reading to find out about the functions and programs under this department.
The CDPH which is in California is the public health agency for the state with executives like Sonia Y. Angell as director and also as State Public Health Officer. The mission of the department is to advance the health and well-being of California’s diverse people and communities and the vision is Healthy communities with thriving families and individuals.
Related: CVS – CVS Availability | How To Sign Up For CVS Services
The shared vision of the CDPH (the public health professionals, researchers, scientists, doctors, nurses, and other staff members) is to protect and improve the health of all Californians. The entire staff members are dedicated to public service and are also passionate about their and their services to the people and communities they serve and protect.
One of the main functions of the department is to protect the public health in the state and the wellbeing of the people in the state. Other functions are;
- Helping to shape positive health outcomes for individuals, families, and communities.
- Overseeing vital records operations throughout the state.
- Licensing certification some types of health care facilities.
- Being responsible for disease controls and preventions.
- In charge of environmental health and food safety.
The department protects the people in California from the threat of preventable infectious diseases like the Zika virus, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and viral hepatitis, and providing reliable and accurate public health laboratory services and information about health threats.
CDPH Programs | Departments
There are several programs under the administration of the CDPH. The CDPH programs and services, implemented in collaboration with local health departments and state, federal, and private partners, touch the lives of every Californian and visitor to the state. These programs are grouped under different categories which are the sub-departments. They include;
Read This: Women, Infants And Children (WIC) Nutrition Program
- Center for Healthy Communities: there is the California Tobacco Control; Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention; Chronic Disease Control; Chronic disease surveillance and Research; and Emergency Preparedness.
- Center For Environmental Health: Division of Food, Drug, and Cannabis Safety; and Division of Radiation Safety and Environmental Management.
- Center For Family Health: Genetic Disease Screening Program; Maternal, Child, and Adolescent Health; and Women, Infants, and Children.
- Center For Health Care Quality: Healthcare-Associated Infections Program; and Licensing and Certification.
- Center For Health Statistics And Informatics: End of Life Option Act; Medical Marijuana Identification Card Program; Vital Records; and Vital Records Data and Statistics.
- Center For Infectious Diseases: HIV/AIDS; Binational Border Health; Communicable Disease Control; Communicable Disease Emergency Response; Tuberculosis; and Refugee Health.
Other offices in the California Department of Public health are;
- Director/State Public Health Officer: Legislative and Governmental Affairs; Let’s Talk Cannabis; Office of Health Equity; and Office of Public Affairs.
- Emergency Preparedness Office.
- Office of State Public Health Laboratory Director.
- Laboratory Field Services.
- Privacy Office.
- Office of Regulations.
These are the different sub-department under the CDPH and the programs these sub-departments run and the other offices in the department.
CDPH Jobs And Careers
There are several exciting career opportunities available at the California Department of Public Health. The department is committed to attracting, hiring, and retaining quality employees who can carry out the mission of the Department to optimize the health and well-being of the people of California. The department also empowers and engages its employees towards advancements in their different careers. This is done by providing the necessary tool and training for this professional growth. The career opportunities are;
- Accounting and budgets.
- Business professionals.
- Career executive assignments.
- Community safety and health promotion.
- Consumer good, safety, and regulation.
- Disease research, prevention, and regulation.
- Health program administration.
- Information technology.
- Environmental health.
- Operations and building management.
- Laboratory sciences.
- Legal services.
- Media and public relations.
- Physician and nurse professionals.
- Regulatory enforcement and inspection.
- Students and seasonal work.
- HR and employee relations.
These are the categories of career opportunities and potential jobs available in CDPH.
The CDPH can be easily contacted if you have any inquiries or reports to make. There are available phone numbers one can use, mail addresses and/or post office address you can use in reaching out to them. All these pieces of information can be obtained from their official page here.
Recommended: WIC Eligibility – WIC Waiting List | Eligibility Requirements