Are you an international student outside the EU/EEA countries? Do you wish to pursue a Master’s degree program? If so, the University of Amsterdam has an exciting opportunity for you. UvA as they’re mostly called, are currently inviting applications for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS) for the year 2024.
The AMS scholarship program at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is a golden opportunity, as it covers the recipient’s tuition fee and offers support for living expenses for one academic year. There is also a likelihood of an extension for a second year (Complete Two-year Master’s Program).
Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS) 2024 Overview
Starting from September 2024, the University of Amsterdam will award only one Amsterdam Merit Scholarship to a selected candidate. This single scholarship recipient will be chosen by the Research School Directors from the various two-year research Master programs offered by the Faculty of Science.
It’s important to note that the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS) 2024 will be awarded on the basis of academic excellence. Therefore, AMS recipients are expected to complete their first year of study with good results, with a minimum of 40 ECTS to be eligible to receive the scholarship for the second year as well.
Benefits of the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship
The value of this prestigious AMS scholarship is € 26,250 for the first academic year, and there’s also the possibility of an extension of € 26,250 for the second academic year. However, it’s essential to note that no additional funding will be provided.
AMS is a Partially funded scholarship hence, cannot be used as a (partial) tuition waiver. This implies that the successfully selected candidate must still bear the full tuition fee.
Eligibility Criteria for Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS)
To be eligible for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS) 2024, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- They should not hold the nationality of any EU/EEA or Suisse country.
- They must not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (for more information, please refer to duo.nl).
- They should not qualify for the reduced tuition fee rate for EEA students at the University of Amsterdam.
- They must not be recipients of a full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the AMS.
- Candidates should have submitted a complete application to one of the MSc programs (refer to the website of your chosen MSc program for the application and admission procedure).
- They should have been (or will be) admitted for the first time to one of the MSc programs at the University of Amsterdam.
- Candidates must be able to comply with the conditions required to obtain a Dutch visa if applicable.
- Their previous academic program should have been completed no longer than 3 years ago.
How to Apply for Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS) 2024?
Candidates who fulfill the requirements can proceed to apply for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS) following the guide below:
- Applying for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS) is an integral part of the application procedure for the Master’s program of your choice.
- On your application form, you will be asked if you want to be considered for a UvA scholarship.
- You will need to submit your motivation letter explaining why you wish to be nominated for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship and how it would impact your future academic career.
- After you’ve submitted your application, the coordinators of the MSc Programs will assess which students qualify to apply for the scholarship.
- Subsequently, all students will be promptly informed of their eligibility.
- Visit the official website here: https://gss.uva.nl/scholarships/amsterdam-merit-scholarship/ams-faculty-of-science.html?cb&cb
Who is eligible for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS)?
To be eligible for the AMS, you must be an international student outside the EU/EEA countries, meet specific criteria, and apply for a Master’s program at the University of Amsterdam.
How much is the AMS scholarship worth?
The AMS scholarship offers € 26,250 for the first academic year, with a possible extension of € 26,250 for the second academic year.
Can I use the AMS scholarship to cover my tuition fees?
No, the AMS is a partial scholarship and cannot be used as a tuition waiver. The selected candidate must still pay the full tuition fee.
How are candidates selected for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship?
Candidates are selected by the Research School Directors from the different two-year research Master programs offered by the Faculty of Science at the University of Amsterdam.