Applications are ongoing for the 2023 edition of the McGraw Fellowship for Business Journalism, up until the 30th of September 2023. The Harold W. McGraw, Jr. Center for Business Journalism is on the lookout for experienced journalists seeking grants to examine critical economic, financial, or business issues across a wide array of subjects.
With grants of up to $15,000 and the editorial support needed, the center aims to help journalists produce deeply reported enterprise and investigative stories. This post will explain all the details about this fellowship and how to apply.
About McGraw Fellowship
The McGraw Fellowship Program has been designed to provide financial as well as editorial support to journalists in need of resources to produce. investigative or enterprise stories. The grant, ranging up to $15,000, assists in covering research and travel expenses. This support allows journalists to create thought-provoking content that contributes fresh insight into important business, financial, or economic topics.
One of the standout features of the McGraw Fellowship is its inclusivity. Applicants must not be business reporters to participate. Many past Fellows have covered beats like health care, education, or the environment. The fellowship welcomes proposals from both freelance and staff journalists across various media formats, including text, audio, photo, and short-form video.
Eligibility Criteria for McGraw Fellowship 2023
The fellowship welcomes both freelance journalists and those currently working at news organizations or journalism non-profits.
Applicants for the McGraw Fellowship should have a minimum of five years of professional experience in journalism.
How to Apply for the McGraw Fellowship 2023
To apply for the 2023 edition of the McGraw Fellowship program, kindly follow the steps below:
- Interested and Qualified Applicants are required to submit a well-focused story proposal of three pages maximum through the online form.
- To access the online form, Click this link: mcgrawcenter.journalism.cuny.edu/the-harold-w-mcgraw-jr-business-journalism-fellowships/application-form/
- Submit a well-focused story proposal (up to three pages) that highlights the significance and potential impact of your idea.
- Along with the proposal, enclose three samples of your previously published work that showcases your ability to tackle in-depth stories.
Benefits of Participating in the McGraw Fellowship 2023
- Each of the successful applicant’s projects will receive a grant of up to $15,000. However, the specific amount payable depends on the time it takes to complete the project and the expenses needed.
- A portion of the fund may be used by freelance journalists to cover their living expenses during the Fellowship.
- Additionally, candidates will be provided with a strong background or reporting expertise on the subject of their project.
- The McGraw Center provides editorial supervision and also works with Fellows in developing their project during the Fellowship.
- The center will assist in editing the completed stories and also fix the articles in established print, audio or digital outlets.
The application process happens twice a year. If you’re interested in the Fall 2023 Fellowships, the deadline is September 30, 2023.
The applications for Spring 2024 Fellowships will be due by March 31, 2024.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What kinds of stories do you support?
The center has a broad view of what constitutes a business or economic story. If something impacts the economy or has a money trail to follow, it’s considered fair game. They’re interested in stories that provide context, expose problems, or analyze complex topics.
Can I apply if I’m not a business journalist?
Absolutely! Many past Fellows have covered various beats, showcasing the originality and quality of the story idea as the key criteria.
Can I apply if I cover local issues?
Yes, they encourage both critical local and regional topics, as well as broader national or international subjects.
What do I need to apply?
Submit a proposal highlighting your story’s significance, potential impact, and how it differs from existing coverage. Include three journalism samples and an up-to-date resume.
What does the stipend cover?
The stipend is intended to cover travel and research expenses incurred while reporting the stories.
Can I apply if I’ve received another grant?
Yes, the center considers applications even if you’ve received support from other grants or foundations for the same story.
How long does the selection process take?
It typically takes around a month to select finalists and a couple of weeks to finalize the new Fellows.
Can international journalists apply?
Yes, as long as the work is published in English in a U.S.-based media outlet.
Can students apply?
The Fellowship is open to journalists with at least five years of work experience in journalism.
Will McGraw fund a book proposal?
Generally, they don’t fund book proposals, but they’re interested in strong, publishable stories that can run in print, audio, or digital outlets.
More Related Content
- Best Jobs You can Get with a Degree in Journalism
- Facebook Journalism Project: Facebook Journalism | Journalist Registration on Facebook
- Highest Paying Jobs in Journalism
- Journalist Fellowship 2023-2024 in UK | Reuters Institute – Fully Funded
- How to Apply for Grants – Tips for Preparing Grant Proposals that win