It’s a little bit complicated if your VPN Company does not have an Android App, but can still be easy enough if anyone who is interested, follows the steps. You just need to know the few settings that your VPN Company provides.
How to use a VPN on Android
- Go to your smartphone’s settings, and tap more under the Wireless & Networks section and select VPN.
- You will see two options here; Basic and Advanced IPsec. The first option is where you can manage third-party apps and connect to VPN networks. The option that comes up after that also enables you to connect to a VPN manually, but it adds a number of advanced settings.
- Under basic, tap the Add VPN option on the top right of the screen.
- Next, give the connection a name.
- Then choose the type of connection the VPN uses.
- Input the server address.
- You can add as many connections as you want and easily switch between them.
- Going through the it basic section, you can also enable a setting called “always-on,” this is just what it means, the settings will only allow network traffic through. If you’re connected to a VPN, which can be helpful if you often view sensitive information on the road.
- If you own a Nexus device operating on Android 5.1 or higher or one of the Google Pixel Device, you can access a feature called Wi-Fi Assistant; this is essentially a built-in VPN. You can find it your settings under Google, and Networking. Enable Wi-Fi Assistant here, and then you can enable or disable a setting and it’s called “manage saved networks, ” which means it automatically connects networks you’ve used before
This may sound like overkill, but mobile security is serious, and you might not know whoever is taking advantage of the wide availability of free Wi-Fi. With many free options, there’s no harm in at least trying one out.
VPN and reasons why you should have one
The acronym VPN actually means Virtual Private Network and provides a secure and encrypted connection so that no one else, including the would-be hackers, can see what you’re doing. You may have used a VPN client before, to connect to a corporate intranet or a content management system (CMS) remotely.
In case u finds yourself frequently connecting to public Wi-Fi networks, you need to install a mobile VPN on your smartphone. It’s also a good idea to consider encrypted apps to further protect your privacy. It used a process called tunneling to give you a private connection on an internet-connected device whether you’re accessing confidential work data, doing some banking, or working on anything you would like to protect from prying eyes.
For example, you are checking your bank balance or credit card bill while connected to a public Wi-Fi hotspot. A hacker sitting at the next table could view your activity (not literally look over. But using sophisticated tools, they could capture the wireless signals). There have been cases where hackers create a fake network. Most times will the same name, such as “coffee shop guest” instead of “coffee shop network”.
Using a mobile VPN can also block ad trackers, mostly annoying, but do violate on your privacy. You’ve might notice ads for products that you’ve recently looked at or purchased following you through the web.
The Best VPN Apps | Best VPN Service
There are so many free VPN services out there, and even the paid apps are not really expensive. The top-rated Avira Phantom VPN by AVIRA and NordVPN each encrypts your connection and location to prevent others from snooping or stealing your information. Both of the Android VPNs also offers a fringe benefit. The ability to change your current location so that you can view content that may be blocked in your area. Avira phantom VPN owns a free option which gives you up to 500 MB of data per month. You can create an account with them to get 1gb of free data each month also. If that isn’t enough, there’s a $10 per month plan that offers unlimited data.
NordVPN doesn’t have a free plan, but its own paid option includes unlimited data. The plans get cheaper the longer you make your commitment. You can choose to pay $7 per month if you wish to try the service. Then you can opt for $7 per month for 6 months or $5.75 per month for 12 months. You should note that NordVPN offers a 30-day money back guarantee, but it applies only to its desktop plans.
The services allow you to protect up to five devices at the same time, including desktop and mobile devices. It even enable you pay your bill anonymously. Three plans are available: $6.95 per month, $5.99 per month if you commit to six months, and $3.33 per month for an annual plan.