The Tarbell Fellowship 2023 is inviting early-career Journalists with significant development potential, and who want to learn from the best sources possible in order to stay current in the digital age. If this applies to you, kindly submit an application for the Tarbell fellowship for emerging journalists in 2024.
The 2024 edition of this Fellowship will last from January through December. Meanwhile, on October 15, 2023, applications for the 2024 cohort will be closed.
Tarbell Fellowship 2023 | Overview
Early-career Journalists around the world interested in reporting emerging technologies, especially artificial intelligence, are encouraged to apply to participate in Tarbell Fellowship 2024, which runs for a duration of one year.
Successfully selected candidates (fellows) will spend nine months working in a major newsroom, take part in a study group on AI governance and technical basics, and go to a two-week journalism summit in Oxford. The most alluring feature of this Fellowship? It is a stipend of up to $50,000 from the Tarbell Fellowship.
The Tarbell Fellowship program incorporates expert speakers, feedback & mentorship from experienced journalists, and networking events with experts from leading AI organizations. Fellows are expected to bring their impact-focused perspective to major newsrooms upon graduation, and this includes publications worldwide.
Eligibility Criteria for Tarbell Fellowship 2023
The following qualities are required for candidates to be considered for the Tarbell Fellowship 2024:
- Ambition for impact: The Candidate must have a commitment to improving the world. Fellows must also demonstrate a passion for and familiarity with one or more of the fellowship areas of interest;
- Passion for journalism: Prior newsroom experience is required. This includes student newspapers or comparable experience in a field such as law or research is preferred but not required. The Fellowship seeks to support early-career journalists however, priorities will be given to potential over experience.
- Excellent writing skills. Candidates must have excellent writing skills and this must be demonstrated in a creative approach to storytelling. Additionally, Fellows must have the ability to produce compelling copy under tight deadlines.
- Relentless: The capacity to persevere in the face of difficulty while tenaciously pursuing your goals. Fellows must be able to endure frequent rejection and be willing to put in a lot of effort.
- Open-minded. the desire to learn the truth of any given tale, even when it goes against one’s preconceived notions. Openness to criticism is required and fellows should know ways to sharpen their writing and thought processes.
Benefits of Participating in the Tarbell Fellowship
The Tarbell Fellowship 2024 offers a range of amazing benefits to successful applicants. These benefits include:
- Placement: Fellows are given 9-12 placement at a major newsroom covering artificial intelligence (AI)
- Stipend: We mentioned earlier that Fellows are given stipends of up to $50,000, however, this stipend depends on circumstances, for the duration of their placement. Generally, the available stipends Vary between $35,000 – $50,000 based on location and personal circumstances.
- Intensive AI Training: Before Fellow receive placements, they will embark on a 2-month program on AI technical and governance fundamentals. This is a 10 hours per week remote program.
- Oxford Summit: Fellows will have the opportunity to attend a two-week summit in Oxford at the commencement of the fellowship. The submission is designed to be intensive, incorporating guest speakers, workshops, and networking events in Oxford and London.
- Travel and accommodation costs of attending this summit will be fully covered.
Tarbell Fellowship 2023 – How it works
- Challenge: The Tarbell Fellowship is both challenging and rewarding. Fellows spend the year building skills and a strong portfolio to accelerate their journalism careers.
- Full–time: It’s a full-time commitment, as journalism is a highly competitive industry, and success requires complete dedication.
- Remote: The fellowship is entirely remote, allowing it to support rising journalism talent from around the globe. However, fellows are strongly encouraged to move to international journalism hubs for the duration of this fellowship, this will help accelerate their careers.
How to Apply for Tarbell Fellowship 2024?
- Are you Interested and qualified for the Tarbell Fellowship 2024? Kindly complete an online application via this link https://forms.gle/Ve6hS5xULcZhfNPC8 by the application deadline mentioned below
- You will be required to include your curriculum vitae (CV), provide accurate answers to some short questions, and also provide up to 1-3 writing samples.
- Visit the official website below for more details about the fellowship https://www.tarbellfellowship.org/fellowship
15th October 2023.