Google Authenticator is a software that makes use of the TTOP (time-based one-time password algorithm) and HOTP (HMAC-based one-time password algorithm). For verifying users of certain mobile applications by Google.
This authenticator provides digits that range from six to eight digits one-time password. Which users must input together with their already known password and username. Or email to enable them to log in to their Google services. This code usually lasts up to two minutes, this authenticator also generates codes for applications which we call third-party applications. These are applications that are not involved with Google.
But since 2017 the two-step verification is no longer an option to think about since there are hackers everywhere. With a database file (containing login details) leaks occurring regularly, the two-step verification is a must use. Using that kind of security no one without any contact to you can hack your account. You also have the option to set up multi-factor authentication on your accounts. This means that you can add more than one device to your to step verification.
The only disadvantage about this app is this. It takes an extra time to enable you to log in to your accounts. It is very easy to set up this high base security, follow the steps below to get started
How to Set Up Two-Step Verification
- To get started to download the app from the play store or app store.
- Now go to the home page of google authenticator and click the plus icon. Usually known as the plus icon or the add an account option, now choose “scan barcode”.
- Use the camera on your device to scan the code. This will automatically generate a new last pass entry in the google authenticator app.
- On the browser in the google authenticator window, click “OK” after the barcode has been scanned.
To Set Up Your Account
- Now edit the multi-authentication on your last pass account.
- Hit the edit button for google authenticator.
- Use the drop-down menu to select yes to enable the verification.
- Choose your desired set up for the permit offline access.
- For the “barcode”, click on the view button whenever you feel like scanning your barcode again.
- The private key option is used in case your device does not have a camera. And you want to input the code manually.
- Finish the other set up and finalize your account.
That all you need to do to secure your accounts from hackers.